I will not be deterred

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

I will not be deterred

Postby charlie98 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:31

After many years of Window$ and OS X I decided, one week ago, to take the Linux plunge. I decided that a "learning experience" was what I was after so I tried 3 distributions - pclinuxos, kanotix and Sabayon Linux x86/x86-64 3.1 which I bought on DVD. Well, I have been learning, and not in a good way.

Got kanotix up and running relatively easily, as in I probably only had to do everything twice so, full of confidence it was on to sabayon, a distribution suitable for my dual core AMD 64 bit machine.

My Sabayon DVD would boot but few of the applications would actually run. You could start for example, Package Manager (Kuroo Portage Manager) and the cursor would bounce around as if trying to start and then just quit, no messages, no nothing. In fact, most applications did that. Regardless, I figured put it on the hard drive and it will work better. I won't mention some of the re-partitioning I needed to do as a result of having a 120G partition for the kanotix root.

The first 2 install attempts the installation stalled so, for the third attempt, I changed DVD drives and amazingly it worked. At that point I was given the option to reboot, which I did and I waited breathlessly for the reults.

Up came saboyan and, like an intrepid explorer, I opened kuroo - - bounce, bouce - quit. Konqeror, same story. more gnome apps worked than kde apps so I did reboot.

At this point I discovered that sabayon had punted my kanotix boot block. After visiting window$ for awhile I brought saybayon back up with the gnome desktop this time. Of course that made no difference to bounce bounce package manager or anything else.

So now I'm off to learn about grub so I can get kanotix back. I'm saying to myself, this is a learning experience. If I say it enough times I might even believe it. :? :) :( :x
charlie98
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:48

I really wish they would dump kuroo

Fire up CLI and use emerge

it's way better I can't stress that enough

You're new to all of this so of course it's gonna be a challenge. I am triple booting on this machine and I had no problems setting up grub.

If a program doesn't start up try remerging it -- CLI ---> # emerge packagename but make sure you do a # emerge --sync first and yes you will probably see an update to portage so do the # emerge portage
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby charlie98 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 16:30

Thanks for the advice. You were correct in that I had to emerge --portage afterwards. Managed to recover my kanotix in grub. I will stabilize that distro before I come back to sabayon but I will be back. From a size perspective I will try a mini version next as emerge --sync took forever. :D
charlie98
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:46

The first sync is gonna be the longest, after that it's not.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion