Grub 2 in Sabayon 5.3 amd64

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Grub 2 in Sabayon 5.3 amd64

Postby archwndas » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:43

Dear all, and dear Fabio,
This is to let you know that it was a HUGE mistake to move to grub2. It is buggy, much more complicated, it requires 3 steps instead the single step of Grub legacy, and for some OS I have installed is simply doesn't boot. I do not want to criticize here its developers, but it is crystal clear, that there is a virus infecting Linux/Unix people and instead of simplifying things they make them more complicated which in other words means unusable.

As I told you many times, bleeding edge does not necessarily imply stability and ease of use. Man, seriously. Remove it. It is an awful mistake. I have 2 operating systems which do not boot. Linux systems boot but non linux ones and systems where it should just chainload +1 the old beloved way, it doesn't.

Please Fabio ... you are doing an excellent job man, driving Sabayon single handed to one of the most complete and bug free Linux systems. Although Ubuntu is more popular, serious people can clearly see that you are beyond them. But PLEASE..... Think of it a bit more seriously before adopting such crappy software as Grub 2, before they are rock solid bug free at least for one year. After so many years of development, I would expect at least from you to be able to judge if designing and interface decisions such as Grub 2 are really a success or a disaster from the very beginning.

Sorry for my style, but I was not expecting from you to do silly stuff, like Ubuntu developers do resulting in unstable crappy systems. Provide it in the entropy as an alternative to those who want to help with the debugging of grub 2, but not in the main release.

Cheers,
Archwn.
archwndas
Advanced Hen

Re: Grub 2 in Sabayon 5.3 amd64

Postby joost » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:18

If you want to talk to Fabio, go write him a letter.
joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Grub 2 in Sabayon 5.3 amd64

Postby Thev00d00 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 22:42

Personally I've never had any Issue with Grub2. It is more complicated, but that was needed. GRUB1 was to simple for modern configurations. :D
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**