Install Failure of Sabayon amd64 5.3

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Install Failure of Sabayon amd64 5.3

Postby LaneLester » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:13

I just downloaded the 64-bit version of 5.3. The Live CD runs perfectly. I have an nVidia motherboard chipset which the LiveCD recognized.

I have two hard drives, an ATA with several partitions I use for Linux installs and a SATA with several partitions that I use for /opt, swap, and data.

I tried installing from the Live CD install desktop icon. I got as far as selecting the drive. I was able to select the install drive (moving it to the right section), but I could never "click" the Boot radio button. I clicked on it and around it, but it never darkened. When I tried to advance, I got the error that I hadn't selected the boot drive. Perhaps this is related to the existence of the multiple partitions.

So I rebooted and selected the text install. When it got to the drive selection section, it seemed that it is not possible to select a particular partition for the installation. I selected "Replace Linux installation" (I have four of them on the drive), but the next step said it was going to reformat the drive without giving me a chance to select the appropriate partition.

Is it not possible to select partitions for installing Sabayon? Is it not possible to select another partition for /opt?

Lane
LaneLester
Baby Hen

Re: Install Failure of Sabayon amd64 5.3

Postby joeoden » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:17

Your post made me a bit curious but you did not say which Sabayon you are trying to install, so when I got back from a few days break I downloaded both the Gnome and KDE versions (SL5.3 amd64)

The first one I tried was Gnome, got as far as creating /boot, swap and / in custom partition layout when I would receive an error after trying to advance, so I then opened a terminal and ran gparted

In gparted I selected to create a new partition table, clicked on apply and received an error (very strange) I rebooted to live dvd and opened gparted and again tried to create a new partition table and ended up with the same error

I then tried the KDE version, doing a custom partition layout I created my normal layout /boot, swap and / there was no problems with the installation

I then tried Gnome again but this time when doing a custom partition layout I did not create the partitions (because they had been created when I installed kde) but I did format the partitions as /boot, swap and / this time the Gnome version installed with no problems

Looks like there is a bug, as a work around create your partitions using a different live cd/dvd or just use fdisk

LaneLester wrote:When I tried to advance, I got the error that I hadn't selected the boot drive. Perhaps this is related to the existence of the multiple partitions.

When doing a custom partition layout you need to have a minimum of / and swap, when you create these 2 partitions then the boot directory is created in the root. So the error that you hadn't selected the boot drive is because you did not select a partition to be your / or /boot
If you select a partition to be /boot then you still need to select another partition as /
LaneLester wrote:So I rebooted and selected the text install

If you use the text install there is no custom partition layout and the drive you select will be created as LVM
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby nobicycle » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:06

Dear *

I have the same problem:
"Disk sda contains BIOD RAID metadata but is not part of any recognized BIOS RAID sets. Ignoring sda"

There was a suggestion above to use fdisk, but then what? How to launch the install process? The text and graphical installers both produce this error.

Best wishes
(Sabayon 5.3 Gnome. NVIDIA Raid disabled in the Bios)
nobicycle
Simple Hen

Postby nobicycle » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:51

Fixed by selecting Text Install.
At root prompt did:
dmraid -r
dmraid -rE -f nvidia /dev/sda

Then ran text installer :
installer
nobicycle
Simple Hen

Postby LaneLester » Fri Jun 11, 2010 13:08

joeoden wrote:Your post made me a bit curious but you did not say which Sabayon you are trying to install, so when I got back from a few days break I downloaded both the Gnome and KDE versions (SL5.3 amd64)

Thanks to both you guys for replying. As you might suspect from your results, I was using the Gnome version.

When doing a custom partition layout you need to have a minimum of / and swap, when you create these 2 partitions then the boot directory is created in the root.

The problem is I was never presented with the option to select a partition. It was only select the first hard drive or the second hard drive. My partitions were never displayed (as they are in gparted) for me to make a selection for / and swap (and /opt, as is my practice).

I'm not comfortable with the command line approach you describe, so it looks like the only way I could get the Gnome version is to install the KDE version first. And I'm still not confident that would solve anything, because I already had the partitions set up; the problem was I didn't get a chance to make a selection.

I think Sabayon will have to go on the shelf for a while. I'll check back again and see if things are improved.

Lane
LaneLester
Baby Hen

Postby esilviu » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:40

Hello,
I have successfully installed 5.3 Gnome version on a SATA HDD, on a motherboard that support RAID.
I have used unetbootin to put the iso on a 2G USB stick.
You could try this way too.
esilviu
Baby Hen

Postby LaneLester » Mon Jun 14, 2010 13:00

esilviu wrote:Hello,
I have successfully installed 5.3 Gnome version on a SATA HDD, on a motherboard that support RAID.
I have used unetbootin to put the iso on a 2G USB stick.
You could try this way too.

You didn't say anything about the partitioning of your hard drive. I'm sure I could have installed it as well, if I hadn't minded it eating whatever part of my hard drive it wished. :(

Lane
LaneLester
Baby Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**