Is there a way to change the screens on boot time? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Is there a way to change the screens on boot time? [Solved]

Postby Vernox » Thu Apr 22, 2010 17:45

Is there a way to change the new blue bootsplash/start up logo back to the old fashioned darker colors? I'm not entirely hip on modifying the look and feel of the startup screens and the new blue is just really, really garish. I know it's a trivial thing, but I've hunted all over the forums for information and my searches are either generally termed "unusable" by the forum search tool or the only responses from it are totally unrelated to my query. And I don't mean grub, I mean the Sabayon logo screen that shows while processes are starting up.

Info:

2.6.31-sabayon #1 SMP Mon Mar 1 19:17:04 UTC 2010 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Last edited by Vernox on Fri May 28, 2010 21:36, edited 3 times in total.
Vernox
Young Hen

Re: Is there a way to change the screens on boot time?

Postby donnie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 21:11

It is called GRUB theme or whatever, GRUB is boring, boring! We need Compiz in GRUB :bom:

[EDITED]
Oh if its not about GRUB sorry!! I'm just stick to this GRUB

Here is how to customize your grub, this will ease some pain.

Open:
Code: Select all
su
vim /etc/default/grub

Change:
Default wallpaper image path
GRUB_WALLPAPER="/usr/share/grub/default-splash.png"

Backup old grub.cfg!
Generate a new grub.cfg:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Hope it will boot!!!
donnie

Re: Is there a way to change the screens on boot time? Not G

Postby Vernox » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:58

No, thanks anyway, but I'm looking for the blue startup screens that come up while linux is loading, not the Grub splash screen.
Vernox
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:53

You are talking about themes. You don't say whether you are using KDE or GNOME.

The artwork for the various SL releases is in the Sabayon Artwork GIT repository (http://gitweb.sabayon.org/?p=artwork.git;a=tree), and the artwork packages are in the Sabayon overlay (http://gitweb.sabayon.org/?p=overlay.gi ... es;hb=HEAD).

You can use Portage to merge an earlier version of the relevant package. For example, if you are using KDE and you want the artwork from SL 5.0 KDE then you would use the following commands as root user in a Konsole window:

emerge --sync
layman -S
emerge -1v =sabayon-artwork-kde-5.0
equo database spmsync

and then you would use Kickoff > Computer > System Settings > Appearance to select the theme. The last command is to tell Entropy what you have done via Portage.

You might also need to edit the kdmrc file: see my post Reverting to SL login screen after upgrading KDE [Solved] for details.

Then restart your PC to see if the change has taken effect.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Vernox » Mon May 17, 2010 11:25

No, that wouldn't change anything but the KDE theme. Or am I way off kilter? Because I see a theme:sabayon in the grub.conf file.
Last edited by Vernox on Mon May 17, 2010 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Vernox
Young Hen

Postby Vernox » Mon May 17, 2010 11:31

Lemme re-explain what I'm talking about here, shed some light, I don't think I'm explaining myself well.

When I boot my machine, GRUB starts. It gives me the option to boot sabayon, sabayon in safe mode and windows. When I choose sabayon, at that point, a giant blue screen with the weird tri-leaved blue Sabayon logo shows up with a progress bar at the bottom. This does it's usual Initializing the Kernel, then Booting the system, etc. How do I change THAT screen away from the bright blue back to the old darker colors? I don't even know what you call that, but that's what I'm looking to change.

After that, my Gnome login screen comes up and lets me log into the GUI graphically.
Vernox
Young Hen

Postby Vernox » Fri May 28, 2010 21:35

Nevermind, the forums fail. It's called a bootsplash, and I figured it out.
Vernox
Young Hen

Re: Is there a way to change the screens on boot time? [Solv

Postby joost » Fri May 28, 2010 21:54

Forums fail? :?
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Vernox » Fri May 28, 2010 22:03

Yeah, I tried to post that I had gotten this issue resolved about an hour ago, and it kept giving me forum post errors. I didn't mean the PEOPLE, mind, just the overloaded forum, haha. Sorry about the ambiguity.
Vernox
Young Hen

Postby Vernox » Fri May 28, 2010 22:05

Although I may not have figured it out as well as previously thought, but I think I'm on the correct track.
Vernox
Young Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area