Re: Sabayon 5.2_64 live disk installation.Brkn.Grub [Solved]

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 5.2_64 installation from live disk. Brkn. Grub.

Postby onederer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 13:12

You can mess around with 5.2, as long as you use the "live" version. That version works fine. It's just that you won't be able to install it until a "fix" has been performed on it, and a new rerpaired set of downloads has been issued. Another thing that you can try is to install it, using your "other" Linux's Grub to boot it up. If it comes up, then it's proof that it is Grub that's defective. If it doesn't then it would likely point to the installer and perhaps also the Grub combination.

Cheers!
onederer
Simple Hen

Postby PennyRoyal » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:06

Ok girls and boys... I found a solution that works! And right here on the sabayon forums. analyticalman has the fix here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20179&p=115038#p114625

It's really not so much a fix, rather it is just knowing the differences of Grub1 and Grub2. He also posts a very good link of Grub2 explained. This should clear up any concerns of the SL5.2 release being flakey (It has install perfect for so many people). It obviously installed correctly... My old grub just didn't want to play nice with the new one! Since I never let any Linux bootloader install to MBR, I can't comment on those results. But if you check out: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub ... ocId982259 there is an example.

onederer... Since you started this Topic, you want to check the above out and mark it solved? As for me, I'm thinking I can put a fork in mine...

Penny
Sabayon 14 KDE64
i7 4770K @ 3.5
MSI Z87-GD65 w/CM V8 HSF
16GB Vengeance DDR3 w/GMCEC0 HSF
EVGA GTX670 x2 SLI
240 Neutron GTX SSD
3x2TB SATA
CM HAF 932 w/Corsair 850w
Upstar M280A1 4k 28"

"Teamwork: A lot of people doing what I say!"
PennyRoyal
Simple Hen

Postby onederer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 13:14

That is great! But I would not make that solution the only final one. Consider the different parameters that's needed for GRUB to boot up on different OS setups. Could it be considered that the now working solution is only scratching the surface? Perhaps other GRUB kluges has to be accomplished to accommodate other different setups?

As far as I can tell, since the advent of SATA hard drives, GRUB for me, hasn't been able to sort, by itself, which drive is which, and has constantly setup the drive numbers, the roots, incorrectly. I've had to edit GRUB to get a working system. And this applies to my present installation of PCLinuxOS. I manually did the work that GRUB is automatically supposed to do.

Cheers!
onederer
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu May 27, 2010 7:45

As there is a solution, and as the solution is not because of a bug in SL but rather because of the difference between Grub2 and Grub Legacy (two different boot managers), the following post on another site is rather unfortunate: Don't get Sabayon Linux 5.2 if you intend to install it! Live version is nice!

zonofabee on April 2, 2010 at 12:05 AM wrote:I tried Sabayon Linux 5.2, first as a live distro, then when I was satisfied of it's perfomance, I thought that it was a keeper. So I decided to install it in my tower.

The tower has two hard drives and two DVD burners. One hard drive is reserved for Windows, and the other for Linux. Before installing the latest version of Sabayon Linux, I had an older version of that Linux OS in that SATA hard drive. I proceeded to perform the installation of Sabayon 5.2 in the tower. Everything was going okay. No visible problems showed up and no error messages presented itself. I just made sure that Sabayon was to install itself in the Linux hard drive, and not touch the Windows hard drive. At the end, I saw a message that it was installing GRUB boot manager. Then it offered me to continue using the live version for a while, or to reboot, to use my newly install version of Sabayon. I chose to reboot. When Grub was done with it's stage-5 of setting up the bootloader, it immediately dropped me down into the text mode of GRUB for troubleshooting. Tried it several times, but the results were always the same. I went to the web site, but couldn't seem to get direct help in solving this problem, so I created a bug report. When I came back to the Sabayon Forum, a SL female fan, reported that she also has had the same problem with that particular version of SL. I indicated that I would try the text mode of installation, and she said that she would try the 32-bit version to see if the results were the same. Well, the 64-bit text-mode installation produced the same errors. Went back on the forum, and found out that the female had indeed downloaded the 32-bit version, and installed. She reported that again, GRUB failed to produce a GUI menu to select the installed OS's. It dropped her into the text trouble shooting mode. After so many tries and not getting anywhere, that was it! I had it! I finally installed PCLinuxOS in the tower, and never got to get a full feel of the installed latest version of Sabayon Linux.

Cheers!

Perhaps you could update that thread to point out that there is a solution.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby onederer » Thu May 27, 2010 11:32

The latest exploration to Sabayon 5.2, deals with the fact that I now tried to install it in an external hard drive.
The pre-installer kept on crashing and producing error dumps. After a lot of reading and research I found out that the Pre-Installer is deffective. The only work-around to finally get past the pre-installation phase is to avoid using LVM as a choice. And it doesn't like ext4, and "Auto Partition" (use manual partition instead). Once those three factors were avoided, the installation continued.

When all the files were loaded into the external USB hard drive, Sabayon asked me if I wanted to install Grub. I figured,sure! I wanted it to install it on it's own hard drive, and leave the internal two hard drives alone. To my dismay, Sabayon didn't ask me which drive I wanted to install it in. It just went and automatically installed Grub into the internal Windows' hard drive! I felt a hard lump in my stomach. After seeing that, I knew I was in trouble, but hoped that I could "fix" the problem after the installation.

Well I've been working on that "trouble" for several days now, and still no fix. The internal PCLOS's Grub is totally borked! My only access to the internal hard drive is to select Windows. PCLOS is no longer reachable.
Only Sabayon's Grub lets me use Windows (and not PCLOS). If it's any consolation I downloaded SGD's hybrid .iso image. Now with that CDROM, I can access Windows, PCLOS, and Sabayon. However, it still doesn't fix the broken PCLOS's Grub boot loader. That's still a work in progress. I want PCLOS's Grub to be the master boot loader. I want the Grub in Sabayon, to reside only on the Sabayon's hard drive.

Up to this writing, the installation of Sabayon has created a major setback in the things that I need to do. The design of the Pre-installer badly needs fixing. The developers need to change the pre-installer to allow the user to choose which hard drive Grub will be installed in. And currently, the user doesn't have that choice. Sabayon installs Grub in Windows' MBR according to what I read as it was installing it. User's flexibility is missing.

Cheers!
onederer
Simple Hen

Postby analyticalman » Thu May 27, 2010 13:02

I've kind of come into this post late so I apologise if I've missed a load of stuff. However, you say that you can access PCLOS. So I hope that means you can boot into it. If you can, and if, as you say, you want the PCLOS to be the master boot loader, then as PCLOS uses Grub 1 (I think), why cant you install it on your boot disk by logging into PCLOS and using the command (as root)

grub-install /dev/hda

- or whichever your master disk is?

Again - I apologise if this is just a well worn path to you
analyticalman
Baby Hen

Postby onederer » Thu May 27, 2010 13:35

analyticalman wrote:I've kind of come into this post late so I apologise if I've missed a load of stuff. However, you say that you can access PCLOS. So I hope that means you can boot into it. If you can, and if, as you say, you want the PCLOS to be the master boot loader, then as PCLOS uses Grub 1 (I think), why cant you install it on your boot disk by logging into PCLOS and using the command (as root)

grub-install /dev/hda

- or whichever your master disk is?

Again - I apologise if this is just a well worn path to you

Greetings,

Well if I only use Sabayon on the external USB hard drive adapter, I can only access Windows in the internal hard drive, and Sabayon's own Grub can also boot Sabayon, but PCLOS is not available!
If I disconnect the USB hard drive, and then boot up the machine, I get nothing, except "grub rescue".
If I use the SuperGrub2Disk_hybrid CDROM, and boot up with it, then I can access the internal Windows' hard drive, the PCLOS's hard drive, and the external Sabayon's hard drive. But that disk doesn't have any tools that came with it to fix the borked PCLOS's Grub. So up to now, that situation still remains the same. A broken Grub. And hard drive's accessibility happens only when I use external or additional means. By itself, I get just: "grub rescue". And that's about as useless as they go. Couldn't find much of anything on "grub rescue" by Googling it.

By the way, I've exhausted just about every trick that I can think of. I've already chroot(ed) into PCLOS and tried to use 'grub", and "grub-install", and grub-config twice! Once for the MBR, and the other into the first partition. I was hoping that by doing that, I would probably get lucky. But my effort failed. It didn't take. I don't really know how Sabayon worked it's ways to install Grub. But I do know that it creates a RAM Drive before activating Grub. I don't really know if that's necessary or not.

PCLOS is working fine! I'd hate to have to re-install it just to get Grub to do the right thing. I'm using it right now to write this. Thanks to the SGD2 super hybrid disk. It got me into this OS.

Cheers!
onederer
Simple Hen

Postby analyticalman » Thu May 27, 2010 15:48

Just so I understand - you are in PCLOS - its working fine but if you su to root and do grub-install /dev/hda (I would probably try it with and without the external disc connected) then assuming you boot from hda it doesn't install grub on your MBR is that right? Do you get error messages? If you don't it must be installing it somewhere!

Alternatively if you are in Sabayon and as root do

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg Can you not make Sabayon pick up PCLOS? What does it list as it executes the command?
analyticalman
Baby Hen

Postby nickdanger » Thu May 27, 2010 19:37

Hope it is OK to add my comments:

I have a 64bit box with two SATA connected hard drives that are identical except for their serial numbers. I only load one OS per drive, and I switch between the two operating systems, by changing the boot device in the system BIOS settings at startup. Not sure if this is an "approved" method, but it has always worked. Usually one drive has my "Sabayon Stable Install" and the other has something I am experimenting with, like a "Sabayon Daily Release." For example, I had Sabayon 4.0 G-64, working on sda and I installed Sabayon 5.1 G-64 on sdb with no problems, and could switch between the drives when I booted the PC by entering the BIOS setup screen and selecting the drive I wanted to boot from. I must have done 15 fresh installs this way. When I installed Sabayon daily 5-8-2010 G-64, from DVD to sdb, it trashed my Grub on sda. This is not of great concern, because I rsync everything to my server, and nothing was lost, so i did not waste much time troubleshooting the bootloader. I used the 5-8-2010 daily release until the 5-22-2010 G-64 daily release was mirrored, and then I loaded it on to sda. I checked the previous version install on sdb and found that once again Grub was trashed. In each case, I verified the DVD burn against the MD5 posted. In each case, the installer displayed both sda, and sdb (including their unique serial numbers) as being available to be mounted, but I only selected the one drive I was installing to. The installer always picked the correct location to install the bootloader, so I went with the default both times.

Next install, I will disconnect the SATA cable for the unmounted drive, before doing a new install, because Anaconda must have a problem with the way I have my system set up. Now that I know about it, I can accommodate it easily.

Please do not read this as a complaint, I know exactly what "bleeding edge software" is, and I would not try it if I did not enthusiastically support your efforts. I just wanted to add what little information I could. If you need a pastebin of my hardware setup let me know.

N.D.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu May 27, 2010 22:17

Those of you who, like me, are struggling to get to grips with Grub2 might like to read the post Re: Questions regarding the functional design of Grub2. Even on a Grub2-only installation it's a very complicated thing to install and configure.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**