Sabayon 5.2 Wireless Problems

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 5.2 Wireless Problems

Postby MusicManNick » Mon May 24, 2010 20:49

Hey all, I have Sabayon Linux 5.2 GNOME amd64 installed to my HP G60 Laptop... My wireless is not working at all. I can connect using my ethernet cable, but this is not good for me because my router is all the way upstairs and my room is downstairs and I primarily use my laptop downstairs. I noticed that under Applications -> Internet there's a wireless manager missing "wicd"
Would re-installing Wicd fix that?
MusicManNick
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 5.2 Wireless Problems

Postby joeoden » Tue May 25, 2010 0:21

What wireless device does your HP G60 Laptop have?
If you don't know, then in a terminal as root type
Code: Select all
lspci

If you are using a USB wireless device then in a terminal as root type
lsusb

As far as I Know WICD is not installed but there is a Network Applet

The Network Applet is next to the speaker icon, right hand side of top panel
1. If you click on it your router should show up, click on it and type in the password
2. If it doesn't show then you most likely have your router hidden, just click on the Network Applet icon and select Connect to a Hidden Wireless Network... Then supply the info in the window that appears

If you still can not connect then and your router is hidden then make your router visible and do number 1

If you still can not connect then using the Firefox search engine by woflden
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=8536
I did a search for Sabayon 5.2 Wireless Problems there was more than 3500 hits, if you the Firefox search engine redefine the search to the info you get from lspci or lsusb

And most important do not forget to mark your post as solved when they are solved
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby MusicManNick » Tue May 25, 2010 0:26

I ran "lspci" and this is what came up:
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Oh, and when I click Network Applet thing it says wireless disabled... Why?
MusicManNick
Baby Hen

Postby joeoden » Tue May 25, 2010 0:58

You have the same wireless adaptor as my HP CQ61 notebook and I have had no problems connecting to the internet using Network Applet, have you tried what I have suggested, if you have post the output of ifconfig and iwconfig

Have you tried connecting while using the Live DVD

Just remembered one of my granddaughters has HP notebook with the AR9285 and when we tried SL 4.2-r1 live dvd on it the wireless button had to be switched on (ours display a blue light when on), as far as I know was rectified in SL 5
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Postby MusicManNick » Tue May 25, 2010 1:00

It will connect fine on the LiveDVD. Mine has a blue light when it's on too, but no matter what I do it stays an orange light :/
MusicManNick
Baby Hen

Postby joeoden » Tue May 25, 2010 1:30

That is strange if it works in a live session then it should work once installed to hard drive

I can recall with one of my older notebooks I had a similar problem and when rebooting in to Vista the wireless light was still orange so I just pressed the button and it switched back on, then I restarted computer and found it was working with SL again (boot to MS Windows and see if you have the same)
When I rebooted back to Vista and if I switched off the wireless button, then booted back to Sabayon the wireless button remained orange this was also rectified later on
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 25, 2010 22:32

I don't have your hardware but I wonder if you need to blacklist a driver that is clashing with the driver that would work. As you wrote that WiFi works in the LiveDVD environment, boot the LiveDVD and get the WiFI working, then look at the output of the following command as root user in a Konsole/Terminal window:

lsmod

Then shutdown, remove the LiveDVD, boot the HDD SL installation and do whatever you did in the LiveDVD environment to enable WiFi, then repeat the above command. Compare carefully the two listings and see if there are any differences. Paste the differences here or, if there are none, paste the full output here anyway.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area