Security issue!

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Security issue!

Postby No.2 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 20:50

My fire wall firestarter says I have cheese worm trying to talk on 10008 yet I can't find any sign of it; no /tmp.cheese and a clean sweep with KlamAV of the whole system.

I just had aMule start by its self with my whole / dir shared! It crashed every time I tried to change that.

Should I be worried?
No.2
Young Hen

Postby arjay » Tue Oct 31, 2006 0:39

Well, I wouldn't like it, especially given your aMule situation. It was supposedly an attempt to close a port opened by the Linux.lion.worm and wasn't considered harmful when first released years ago. I'd try to find and remove:

Linux.Cheese.Worm

Take a look at your /etc/inetd.conf to see if it's been modified too. You sound like you're aware of it, so I may not be telling you anything you don't already know.

I'd also emerge and run rkhunter, just cuz it's a good idea.

Code: Select all
emerge -v rkhunter

Run that regularly if you don't already. I've never had a problem with the cheese.worm myself, and am basically trying to remember the discussions and solutions I heard. Maybe someone else actually had to deal with it and can offer more information. Good-luck!
arjay
Simple Hen

Postby No.2 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 0:49

Thanks for the reply.

Ran rkhunter and chkrootkit and nothing I have xinetd.conf so cheese wouldn't have modded that. Makes me think it is a false id by the firewall. It is trying to use 10008 though...

Still scratching my head re aMule reinstalled it and not happened since...
No.2
Young Hen

Postby arjay » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:01

You're right...very strange. It may be something with firestarter, but I haven't received any complaints from fs. Will check the log and if I see anything, I'll get back. G'luck!
arjay
Simple Hen

Postby cvill64 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:12

very odd, could have been a corrupted build and the way it was asking was flagged as suspicious as an virus must have root access to do any damage
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion