Program installation by other means

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Program installation by other means

Postby tabrown72 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 19:02

Hello,

I am very new to Sabayon and have not used a Gentoo based Distro before. I have had experience with rpms and using ./configure, make, make install. Due to the fact that I am dialup at home (very very slow connection) but have a fast connection at work is there anyway to download the sources or binarys save them to a thumdrive at work and transport them home to my Sabayon linux box and install the apps I want?

Any help or guidance is appreciated.
tabrown72
Simple Hen

Postby cvill64 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:15

yes, you will still need to do a emerge --sync to update what ebuilds are available or you can just manually add ebuilds to your local portage one by one, but packages you d/l you can put in

/usr/portage/distfiles

and then emerge can build them for you :) as for snapshots, you can download those too and then unpack them to your system which is essentially the same as an emerge --sync, I would suggest gentoo-wiki.com to learn more :roll:
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby Keynone » Thu Nov 02, 2006 16:15

If you have a laptop and take your laptop to work, you can do an "emerge -f" and the package name, which will just download all the files, and then you can install them later by doing a "emerge" package name.
Keynone
Young Hen

Thank you

Postby tabrown72 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:08

I appreciate the response to my question, I do have a laptop but the wifi at my work is secure, so alas not able to use that avenue.

If there was a way to run an application through Windows(my wired network computer at work) that would allow me to select the files I want, then transfer them over to my home computer through a thumbdrive or cd would be nice.

Any other ideas?
tabrown72
Simple Hen

Postby anagor » Mon Nov 06, 2006 15:15

I believe that this will answer your question exactly:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#manualdownload
anagor
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion