Change Theme [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Change Theme [Solved]

Postby crazyman » Wed May 19, 2010 9:08

Hi !

I Just installed Sabayon 5.2 (KDE).

Previously I had 5.0 and I really liked its theme :

Is it possible to get this one on the 5.2 version ?

If yes, how can I do that ?

Thx
crazyman
Baby Hen

Re: Change Theme

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed May 19, 2010 12:06

As root user in a Konsole window:

Code: Select all
emerge --sync
layman -S
emerge -1v =sabayon-artwork-kde-5.0
equo database spmsync

and then you would use Kickoff > Computer > System Settings > Appearance to select the theme.

You might also need to edit the kdmrc file: see my post Reverting to SL login screen after upgrading KDE [Solved] for details.

Then restart your PC to see if the change has taken effect.

For an explanation of the above commands, see the articles on the Portage and Entropy package managers in the SL Wiki. Basically, the above four commands do the following:

- Synchronise (update) your PC with the latest versions of package build scripts in the main Portage repositories.
- Synchronise (update) your PC with the latest versions of package build scripts in the Sabayon Overlay repository.
- Merge (build/install) the package x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-kde-5.0 from the Sabayon Overlay.
- Tell Entropy what you did via Portage so that the Entropy database on your PC is synchronised accordingly.

You can check what the Sabayon artwork was for the various releases by looking in the Sabayon Artwork Git repository: http://gitweb.sabayon.org/?p=artwork.git;a=tree
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby rumahsiput » Thu May 20, 2010 5:59

I updated my system (Gnome on i686) this morning and didn't like the new sabayon artwork 5.3 when I spotted this post and thought I try to get back what I had yesterday. This is what I did and I didn't get what I wanted. And yes, I did all the 4 commands in your post, syncing before and after...

sabayon kc # emerge -1v =sabayon-artwork-gnome-5.2

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies | * ERROR: x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.3 failed:
* sabayon-artwork.eclass could not be found by inherit()
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1875: Called source '/var/lib/layman/sabayon/x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core/sabayon-artwork-core-5.3.ebuild'
* sabayon-artwork-core-5.3.ebuild, line 4: Called inherit 'eutils' 'mount-boot' 'sabayon-artwork'
* ebuild.sh, line 1291: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* [ ! -e "$location" ] && die "${1}.eclass could not be found by inherit()"
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.3',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.3'.
* This ebuild is from an overlay: '/var/lib/layman/sabayon/'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.3/work/sabayon-artwork-core-5.3'
- * ERROR: sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-2.6.33 failed:
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1875: Called source '/var/lib/layman/sabayon/sys-kernel/linux-sabayon/linux-sabayon-2.6.33.ebuild'
* linux-sabayon-2.6.33.ebuild, line 7: Called inherit 'sabayon-kernel'
* ebuild.sh, line 1314: Called qa_source '/var/lib/layman/sabayon/eclass/sabayon-kernel.eclass'
* ebuild.sh, line 35: Called source '/var/lib/layman/sabayon/eclass/sabayon-kernel.eclass'
* sabayon-kernel.eclass, line 35: Called inherit 'eutils' 'kernel-2' 'sabayon-artwork' 'mount-boot' 'linux-mod'
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-2.6.33',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-2.6.33'.
* This ebuild used the following eclasses from overlays:
* /var/lib/layman/sabayon/eclass/sabayon-kernel.eclass
* This ebuild is from an overlay: '/var/lib/layman/sabayon/'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-2.6.33/work/linux-2.6.33-linux'
| * ERROR: x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.2 failed:
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1875: Called source '/var/lib/layman/sabayon/x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core/sabayon-artwork-core-5.2.ebuild'
* sabayon-artwork-core-5.2.ebuild, line 4: Called inherit 'eutils' 'mount-boot' 'sabayon-artwork'
* If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.2',
* the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.2'.
* This ebuild is from an overlay named 'sabayon': '/var/lib/layman/sabayon/'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.2/work/sabayon-artwork-core-5.2'
... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "~x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.2" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-core-5.2 (masked by: corruption)

(dependency required by "x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-gnome-5.2" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "=sabayon-artwork-gnome-5.2" [argument])

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
equo

Did I do something wrong?
rumahsiput
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu May 20, 2010 9:02

I used the SL Forums Search facility to search for your error message "sabayon-artwork.eclass could not be found by inherit" and came up with the following thread: Missing sabayon-artwork.eclass [Solved]. Try the fixes given in that thread and then repeat the procedure here.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby rumahsiput » Thu May 20, 2010 11:59

Thank you for the quick reply. I solved the eclass problem following your link and repeated install of artwork 5.2; it went well at first but finally cannot merge as per message:

* Package 'x11-themes/sabayon-artwork-gnome-5.2' NOT merged due to file
* collisions. If necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole
* content of the above message.

No worries, hope the new theme will somehow grow on me - eventually...
rumahsiput
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu May 20, 2010 12:46

Ah, I see that I also told you how to solve the sabayon-artwork.eclass error message in a previous thread of yours in April: Re: How to intall canon ip1980 printer?.

The collisions are straightforward to overcome: make a backup copy of the file /etc/make.conf and then change the line with the assignment of the environment variable FEATURES to the following:

FEATURES="parallel-fetch -collision-protect -protect-owned"

Then repeat the emerge command. After you have installed the package revert to the previous version of /etc/make.conf.

And, as I mentioned in that thread in April, don't forget to do the following afterwards to tell Entropy what you did via Portage:

equo database gentoosync

or, alternatively, the latest version of that command:

equo database spmsync
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby rumahsiput » Thu May 20, 2010 13:45

Bravo Fritzcarraldo, you did it again! And good memory! Frankly, I had to reinstall my computer about 10 days ago following a thread that was marked solved for grub splash daemon error 256. I got this beautiful splash screen with grub prompt and I couldn't get into my system! I should have known better than to touch grub2. Anyway, I have not reinstall my printer on my laptop but it is always ok on my desktop. Of course, I completely forgot about eclass until your post this afternoon.
Thanks again! BTW, I would like to mark this as solved but it's not my thread.

crazyman?
rumahsiput
Simple Hen

Re: Change Theme [Solved]

Postby crazyman » Wed May 26, 2010 9:26

Just saw your replies !

Thanks a lot !!!

I helps me a lot :-)

Crazyman
crazyman
Baby Hen

Re: Change Theme [Solved]

Postby rumahsiput » Thu May 27, 2010 13:19

I'm curious and hope to find an answer. Well, I switched theme from sabayon-artwork-gnome-5.3 (when the Sabayon logo, was in my personal opinion, not that cool) as per instructions on this post to 5.2 and then by the promptings of Entropy I switched back to 5.3 again since someone else thought the same and changed the logo back to the old Sabayon logo (noticed that on my desktop). After the latest update, Gnome logo takes the place of Sabayon logo and only some of the icons are changed. Any explanations for this?
rumahsiput
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area