Making The Gnome Version, Gnome-Centric & KDE KDE-Centric

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Making The Gnome Version, Gnome-Centric & KDE KDE-Centric

Postby SabayonHead » Mon May 10, 2010 18:22

Recently I installed Sabayon (Gnome edition) after having a conflict with the KDE instill ( you can see my past posts ) and I gotta say, the devs did an excellent job for the Gnome version, they are identical in looks and works great.

I put Sabayon KDE in 2 other computers ( Window Converts :wink: ) and they've been working flawlessly and the users are extremely happy with it.

Now, my question is:

Noticing the Gnome and KDE editions, I notice they share applications that are both Gnome & KDE or even XFCE.

I wanted to know first, On the Gnome side:

I noticed there are tons upon tons of applications installed that I don't think are needed but I'm sure they are put it because... why not?

Is it possible to make it Purely Gnome without breaking anything? ( I think I saw Thunar installed for a printer if I'm not mistaken )

I know I can look over to Gnomes site and try to decide there but I wanted to know from you guys since you would know the system better than Gnome how things work with eachother.

I take the position of, If it's Gnome, I'd like to have a Gnome machine, and if it's KDE, KDE, and so forth.

Just curious...

SabayonHead
Young Hen

Re: Making The Gnome Version, Gnome-Centric & KDE KDE-Centri

Postby wolfden » Tue May 11, 2010 7:18

Thunar is not installed by default on the gnome dvd.

You can make your system whatever you want it to be. You can start with a core-cd and make your own package sets - see: http://joostruis.wordpress.com/2009/12/ ... ropy-sets/
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby SabayonHead » Tue May 11, 2010 7:30

wolfden wrote:Thunar is not installed by default on the gnome dvd.

You can make your system whatever you want it to be. You can start with a core-cd and make your own package sets - see: http://joostruis.wordpress.com/2009/12/ ... ropy-sets/

Thunar, If I read correctly, has to do with Samba ( I looked at the dependancies ) which in turn has to do with the printer?

Unless I'm wrong, I'll remove it right now lol

As for the Core, yea I tried that before when I didn't know about Unetbootin to boot from USB but saw it kind of became like ArchLinux. I'm not crazy about command lines that's why I asked for a more easier approach :)
SabayonHead
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue May 11, 2010 7:36

You can see the Gnome package list on the DVD here:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/sabayon/pkg ... 2-x86G.txt

no thunar there,

The deps for samba:
dev-libs/popt
dev-libs/libgamin
sys-apps/dmapi:0
virtual/pam