after install of 5.2 I get grub prompt

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: after install of 5.2 I get grub prompt

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 0:25

I must say, GRUB2 will not help much. It can install itself in MBR, and then copy files, but you cannot follow instructions from my first post because if you boot to install partition, and run last command, you get:
Code: Select all
# grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/floppy/boot/grub/grub.cfg
/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?)

CoreCD MUST be able to create grub.cfg, its a must for Live distro with GRUB2. Feature request. Bug. Whatever.
donnie

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 0:32

In GRUB there is a difference betveen menu.lst entry and what you see when you boot to GRUB, in GRUB2 there is no such difference at all. So you may copy/paste from grub.cfg to boot screen.
   insmod ext2
   set root='(hd0,6)'
   linux   /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.33-sabayon ro root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda6 dolvm init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon console=tty1 quiet gentoo=nox resume=swap:/dev/sda9 real_resume=/dev/sda9
   initrd   /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.33-sabayon

Installed to /dev/sda6, swap is /dev/sda9. Edit and it must boot. If not, remove things one by one, but leave init=/linuxrc for sure.
donnie

Postby moonrise » Tue Apr 27, 2010 0:33

Here's the grub entry from the procedure:
title Sabayon Linux x86 Test
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/sabayon root=/dev/ram0 aufs init=/linuxrc cdroot=/dev/sda4 looptype=squashfs max_loop=64 loop=/livecd.squashfs splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 music quiet --
initrd /boot/sabayon.igz

How to make the same entry for grub2?
moonrise
Baby Hen

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 0:35

Oh.. You have GRUB or GRUB2 screen?
donnie

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 0:35

Can you boot to distro with GRUB2?

(you now writing from space, eh)
donnie

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 0:38

set root=(hd0,4)
linux /boot/sabayon root=/dev/ram0 aufs init=/linuxrc cdroot=/dev/sda4 looptype=squashfs max_loop=64 loop=/livecd.squashfs splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 music quiet
initrd /boot/sabayon.igz

here
donnie

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 0:46

gone :D

I must go sleep. When I installed Sabayon for the first time, it was from HDD partition, next day i screwed it up and had much the same problem, but worse - my installed Sabayon did not work. And i didn't have internet at that moment :roll:

You must pretend to be not just another noob :shock:

Another feature request to developers - to have links browser in CoreCD with javascript, to be able to post problems here.
donnie

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 0:58

Remove this
,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 music
donnie

Postby moonrise » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:25

donnie wrote:but worse - my installed Sabayon did not work. And i didn't have internet at that moment

Mine doesn't work either so not worse but the same. As for being a noob. If I began to tell you how many linux distros I've tried it would bore you to tears. My impressions of linux are not good right now. Most distros suggest burning a cd. Some suggest unetbootin, which is really lame. And on and on. And now here I am at Sabayon and it doesn't work either.
Neat graphics, etc., etc., but if it doesn't even install then everything else is useless.

I'm downloading another distro now and have my expectations set low.
moonrise
Baby Hen

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:30

Nevermind!

Here, look at me - I was a noob 2 weeks ago

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=20273

There is a problem solved, I just didnt remember I posted solution, but noone here added it to wiki or whatever
donnie

PreviousNext

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**