whoa! what happened to gnome?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

whoa! what happened to gnome?

Postby fuscia » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:59

i'm brand new to sabayon (coming from ubuntu) and somehow managed to do emerge gnome-desktop. it did a whole bunch of stuff that looked like installing. didn't get any error messages, except something about an /etc file needing to be updated. gnome, however, does not appear in kdm (i've not used kdm before).
fuscia
Baby Hen

Postby ajez » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:22

the etc message is about launching the etc-update command (as root) to update some configuration files.. BE CAREFUL USING IT, YOU CAN BRAKE THE SYSTEM! there are some files (listed by lxnay) you don't have to touch..

about kdm, you can cofigure it from control center in kde .. anyway, it's possible to configure the login manager to gdm (I like it, even if I use kde :p ) that surely let you choice the window manager before logging in .. to set gdm as default login manger ( hoping you have it installed), just edit (as root) the file /etc/conf.d/xdm properly .. inside the file read the comments that will help you ..

if someone else has a simpler method, post please :D
ajez
The Blamed One

Postby fuscia » Sat Oct 28, 2006 15:01

thanks for the response. i've gone back to ubuntu where i barely know what i'm doing. i guess i'm not ready to play with the big kids yet.
fuscia
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion