HP-setup ain't working [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: HP-setup ain't working

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 18:42

Did you use hp-setup to configure the printer, dunsurfin?

Code: Select all
$ hp-setup --help

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.10.2)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Installs HPLIP printers and faxes in the CUPS spooler. Tries to automatically determine the correct PPD file to use. Allows the printing of a testpage. Performs basic fax parameter setup.

Usage: hp-setup [MODE] [OPTIONS] [SERIAL NO.|USB bus:device|IP|DEVNODE]

[MODE]
  Run in graphical UI mode:                                                  -u or --gui (Default)                                                                                                                                             
  Run in interactive mode:                                                   -i or --interactive                                                                                                                                               

[OPTIONS]
  Automatic mode:                                                            -a or --auto (-i mode only)                                                                                                                                       
  To specify the port on a multi-port JetDirect:                             --port=<port> (Valid values are 1*, 2, and 3. *default)                                                                                                           
  No testpage in automatic mode:                                             -x (-i mode only)                                                                                                                                                 
  To specify a CUPS printer queue name:                                      -p<printer> or --printer=<printer> (-i mode only)                                                                                                                 
  To specify a CUPS fax queue name:                                          -f<fax> or --fax=<fax> (-i mode only)                                                                                                                             
  Type of queue(s) to install:                                               -t<typelist> or --type=<typelist>. <typelist>: print*, fax* (*default) (-i mode only)                                                                             
  To specify the device URI to install:                                      -d<device> or --device=<device> (--qt4 mode only)                                                                                                                 
  Remove printers or faxes instead of setting-up:                            -r or --rm or --remove (-u only)                                                                                                                                 
  Set the language:                                                          -q <lang> or --lang=<lang>. Use -q? or --lang=? to see a list of available language codes.                                                                       
  Set the logging level:                                                     -l<level> or --logging=<level>                                                                                                                                   
                                                                             <level>: none, info*, error, warn, debug (*default)                                                                                                               
  Run in debug mode:                                                         -g (same as option: -ldebug)                                                                                                                                     
  This help information:                                                     -h or --help                                                                                                                                                     

[SERIAL NO.|USB ID|IP|DEVNODE]
  USB bus:device (usb only):                                                 "xxx:yyy" where 'xxx' is the USB bus and 'yyy' is the USB device. (Note: The ':' and all leading zeros must be present.)                                         
                                                                             Use the 'lsusb' command to obtain this information.                                                                                                               
  IPs (network only):                                                        IPv4 address "a.b.c.d" or "hostname"                                                                                                                             
  DEVNODE (parallel only):                                                   "/dev/parportX", X=0,1,2,...                                                                                                                                     
  SERIAL NO. (usb and parallel only):                                        "serial no."                                                                                                                                                     

Examples:
  Setup using GUI mode:                                                      $ hp-setup                                                                                                                                                       
  Setup using GUI mode, specifying usb:                                      $ hp-setup -b usb                                                                                                                                                 
  Setup using GUI mode, specifying an IP:                                    $ hp-setup 192.168.0.101                                                                                                                                         
  One USB printer attached, automatic:                                       $ hp-setup -i -a                                                                                                                                                 
  USB, IDs specified:                                                        $ hp-setup -i 001:002                                                                                                                                             
  Network:                                                                   $ hp-setup -i 66.35.250.209                                                                                                                                       
  Network, Jetdirect port 2:                                                 $ hp-setup -i --port=2 66.35.250.209                                                                                                                             
  Parallel:                                                                  $ hp-setup -i /dev/parport0                                                                                                                                       
  USB or parallel, using serial number:                                      $ hp-setup -i US12345678A                                                                                                                                         
  USB, automatic:                                                            $ hp-setup -i --auto 001:002                                                                                                                                     
  Parallel, automatic, no testpage:                                          $ hp-setup -i -a -x /dev/parport0                                                                                                                                 
  Parallel, choose device:                                                   $ hp-setup -i -b par                                                                                                                                             

Notes:
1. If no serial number, USB ID, IP, or device node is specified, the USB and parallel busses will be probed for devices.
2. Using 'lsusb' to obtain USB IDs: (example)
        $ lsusb
        Bus 003 Device 011: ID 03f0:c202 Hewlett-Packard
        $ hp-setup --auto 003:011
        (Note: You may have to run 'lsusb' from /sbin or another location. Use '$ locate lsusb' to determine this.)
3. Parameters -a, -f, -p, or -t are not valid in GUI (-u) mode.

See Also:
hp-makeuri
hp-probe
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 19:27

Thank you Fitzcarraldo. I had used it in GUI mode but kept getting an error and then I ran it in debug mode and found it was permissions. So I ran hp-setup as root and the printer is now working again. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby down8ve » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:16

I should mark this "solved" with the release of Sabayon 7. HPLIP works flawlessly.
down8ve
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Hardware