Unable to login in Sabayon 5.2 amd64 K

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Unable to login in Sabayon 5.2 amd64 K

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 16:34

I will read how to :shock: file bugs and then will start doing so :roll:

Also, that was 32-bit SL 5.2 KDE, not amd64
donnie

Postby donnie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 16:51

I could easily reproduce that bug? I still have that installation partition untouched, and have 2 spare partition to install SL there and boot, without worrying about GRUB, etc
donnie

Postby SabayonHead » Sat May 08, 2010 12:08

stefan9 wrote:I just opened a new Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1)

Login: root
Password: *******

equo update
equo upgrade

After I was able to login to KDE...

I tried this within Sabayon after installing and it ( not rebooting ), did the update but when i did the upgrade, it began checking dependencies and got around 20.4% and shut the computer down.

I know it's not the computer overheating because I let it run for awhile after on it's own and it was still running.

Mind you, I tried this installing a good 3 or 4 times now, with the same exact end result.

I'm not on a 64 bit but a 32

And Installing from USB ( using Unetbootin <--- life saver ) My machine doesn't have a DVD reader.

I hope someone can help me with this...

I can go into the Media center as well and FluxBox and whatever other options there are, just not KDE.

The icons begin to load after logging and that stupid lnusertemp thing comes up at the top right.
SabayonHead
Young Hen

Postby chickaroo » Sat May 08, 2010 14:33

SabayonHead wrote:
stefan9 wrote:I just opened a new Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1)

Login: root
Password: *******

equo update
equo upgrade

After I was able to login to KDE...

I tried this within Sabayon after installing and it ( not rebooting ), did the update but when i did the upgrade, it began checking dependencies and got around 20.4% and shut the computer down.

I know it's not the computer overheating because I let it run for awhile after on it's own and it was still running.

Mind you, I tried this installing a good 3 or 4 times now, with the same exact end result.

I'm not on a 64 bit but a 32

And Installing from USB ( using Unetbootin <--- life saver ) My machine doesn't have a DVD reader.

I hope someone can help me with this...

I can go into the Media center as well and FluxBox and whatever other options there are, just not KDE.

The icons begin to load after logging and that stupid lnusertemp thing comes up at the top right.

does it just abruptly shut off? power and everything? or just suddenly reboot? or does sabayon shut itself down cleanly? if it's an abrupt reboot or shutoff, those are usually signs of a hardware failure somewhere. stressing the computer with HDD, CPU, or Memory intensive tasks like running Equo can bring to surface such failures. (there's a good program called GIMPS that has a torture test that can find such errors, btw)

after you reboot, can you post the tail of your /var/log/messages and /var/log/entropy/equo.log ? that may help determine the cause, whether it be hardware or software
This post was most likely written under the influence. I am in no way affiliated with Sabayon Linux, or the Sabayon Linux development team. My views are my own, and very well may offend people. If you're offended by anything I say, feel free to fsck off:)
chickaroo
Young Hen

Postby alcalde » Sat May 08, 2010 18:27

Sabayonhead, did you try this from a command prompt as root?

mkdir /var/tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp
chmod 1777 /var/tmp

It solves the problem 100% of the time (in VirtualBox) for 32-bit 5.2 KDE edition.
alcalde
Simple Hen

Postby SabayonHead » Sat May 08, 2010 19:00

alcalde wrote:Sabayonhead, did you try this from a command prompt as root?

mkdir /var/tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp
chmod 1777 /var/tmp

It solves the problem 100% of the time (in VirtualBox) for 32-bit 5.2 KDE edition.

Should I try this before or after I install it?

I'm not a pro with the cmd prompts but I would type in exactly what you just did into the Terminal then reboot it and it should work?

And Chickaroo:

That actually makes sense, that the Entropy might be causing too much stress on the hardware and forcing it to shut down.

Before this, I had Ubuntu 10.04 and had Rhythmbox running 1 day and about 30 minutes later, the computer shut down.

Abruptly shuts down, not in it's proper way, hmmmm

I probably should go with a lower resource version then huh?

I'm going to try first what Alcalde mentioned when he replies and see if that does it, if not then.... Sabayon = :cry:

Let me also add that if it ends up being the case where I have to put a lower resource type, like XFCE, then are there any "Rolling Release" ones that work with Wifi ( or can easily be setup ) that anyone can suggest?
SabayonHead
Young Hen

Postby SabayonHead » Sat May 08, 2010 20:26

alcalde wrote:Sabayonhead, did you try this from a command prompt as root?

mkdir /var/tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp
chmod 1777 /var/tmp

Ok, I installed the OS, and instead of rebooting, I clicked quit, went to terminal, typed in what is listed above and this is what shows:

I then closed out the terminal and rebooted, only to be welcomed, once again, but the stupid lusertemp thing again. :evil:

Some you see repeated but ignore them, I did things just in case. the mkdir didn't work as you can see but the others it seemed that it picked up on ( I think? lol )

I'm striving for this OS because it's a rolling release and I played with this on 2 other comps ( that I had put this on, for friends ) working flawlessly. My comp isn't as new but if I must, xfce it will be...

Let me know what you ( or anyone else ) can make of this.
SabayonHead
Young Hen

Postby alcalde » Sat May 08, 2010 21:58

Ok, after install, get to a command prompt and type this:

su

It will then ask for your root password, which you should supply.

Now type these lines:

mkdir /var/tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp
chmod 1777 /var/tmp

They should work if you have root access, and it will solve your problem. You'll be able to get into KDE fine, etc.
alcalde
Simple Hen

Postby SabayonHead » Sat May 08, 2010 22:20

alcalde wrote:Ok, after install, get to a command prompt and type this:

su

It will then ask for your root password, which you should supply.

Now type these lines:

mkdir /var/tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp
chmod 1777 /var/tmp

They should work if you have root access, and it will solve your problem. You'll be able to get into KDE fine, etc.

That's what I said I did in the most recent post :lol: , I even posted the pic to show you. :shock:

And it still gave me the same problem after
SabayonHead
Young Hen

Postby alcalde » Sat May 08, 2010 23:25

Sorry, I didn't catch the first line where you switched to root.

Ok, let's try this:

After a fresh install/reboot, you get to the login screen.

Click the "Menu" bottom on the bottom left of the screen, then select "console login" from the pop-up menu. Now, log in as root. I ran through the process in Virtualbox and realized I log in as root rather than using su when doing this; this must make a difference.

Now that you're logged in as root, do
mkdir /var/tmp
chmod 1777 /var/tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp

and it should work - I'm 99% sure.

P.S. I share your enthusiasm for Sabayon 5.2 - I've put Linux distros on and taken them quickly off my PC for many years now; Sabayon 5.2 is the first distro I haven't had major problems with (plus I guess I'm learning). Some of the older Sabayon versions had some significant issues with my PC that were too hard for me to fix, but this is the first version that's only had a few minor issues and I've been able to resolve all of them so far. I've even managed to get some Windows programs I like running almost flawlessly under WINE! Sabayon 5.2 might finally enable me to leave WIndows behind. I've been making a list of all the little issues I've had and the fixes for them and am planning on putting up a post with them soon. Some were found on this board (but surprisingly, I found a lot of the solutions from the Arch Linux folks). And a few I even figured out myself with massive trial and error. :-) I think it would be helpful to Linux beginners (like me) to have a list of all of these little issues and fixes in one place to get things up and running with minimal fuss - things like how you get Opera to work with Java, why GNUCash won't run on 64bit and how to fix it, how to deal with KDE turning off Compiz on every reboot for certain ATI cards, what to do if the login screen has giant fonts on it, how to get wireless networking working on an HP laptop, etc. I've also got a list of the issues with running Sabayon under Virtualbox and how to deal with them.
alcalde
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**