HP-setup ain't working [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

HP-setup ain't working [Solved]

Postby down8ve » Fri Mar 19, 2010 22:37

Attempting to set up my HP Color Laserjet, connected to my wired network, will not set up using the HP toolbox. Running hp-setup as root does not work either.

Following the wiki or recent posts on this forum result are the same. I just went ahead and used the CUPS web interface to do it, but miss the HP tools.

Sabayon 5.1 x64
Last edited by down8ve on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:16, edited 1 time in total.
down8ve
Simple Hen

Re: HP-setup ain't working

Postby Darksurf » Sat Mar 20, 2010 18:30

make sure you are in the lp group, sometimes small things like this get overlooked.
you can use kuser to check the groups if you used KDE, i'm not a gnome user so I don't know about gnome.
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby chenxiaolong » Sun Mar 21, 2010 13:32

You can also add the HP printer through the Cups web interface (I have an HP printer too and that's what I did): http://localhost:631. The Add Printer button is on the Administration tab.
chenxiaolong
Simple Hen

Location: /home/chenxiaolong, C:\Users\Chen Xiao-Long, and /Users/chenxiaolong. Oh yeah, and /root.

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 16:59

^He said that, chenxiaolong:

down8ve wrote:I just went ahead and used the CUPS web interface to do it, but miss the HP tools.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby chenxiaolong » Sun Mar 21, 2010 18:12

Sorry, I didn't read the post correctly :D.
chenxiaolong
Simple Hen

Location: /home/chenxiaolong, C:\Users\Chen Xiao-Long, and /Users/chenxiaolong. Oh yeah, and /root.

Postby down8ve » Mon Mar 22, 2010 14:40

I post stuff all the time in similar fashion. No matter, the main thing is having a fixed package when the 5.2 stuff appears in my updates.
down8ve
Simple Hen

Postby down8ve » Sun Apr 11, 2010 14:08

>I really, really want Sabayon to do what Ubuntu can concerning HP network printers.

On the advice of another I tried the following as a regular user, su, and sudo:
Code: Select all
equo install --ask hplip

and answered "y" to both questions regarding updating certain issues.

I then did the following, again as me, su, and sudo:
equo conf update
hp-setup
usermod -a -G lp MYUSERNAME

Each time the graphical setup gets almost done until ending with a communication error:
Searching... (bus=net, timeout=5, ttl=4, search=(None) desc=0, method=mdns)
error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hpfax:/net/HP_Color_LaserJet_CM1312nfi_MFP?zc=NPI1EF51F                                                   
error: Unable to communicate with the device. Please check the device and try again.   

I notice that hp-cups is not available in portage or entropy. That my be the problem.

Why won't this work properly? This is ruining my joy with Sabayon, which is a shame since everything else is working wonderfully!
down8ve
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 20:33

Have you tried running hp-check?

$ hp-check --help

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.10.2)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 14.3

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Check the existence and versions of HPLIP dependencies. (Run as 'python ./check.py' from the HPLIP tarball before installation.)

Usage: hp-check [OPTIONS]

[OPTIONS]
  Compile-time check:                                                        -c or --compile                                                                                                                                                   
  Run-time check:                                                            -r or --run                                                                                                                                                       
  Compile and run-time checks:                                               -b or --both (default)                                                                                                                                           
  Set the logging level:                                                     -l<level> or --logging=<level>                                                                                                                                   
                                                                             <level>: none, info*, error, warn, debug (*default)                                                                                                               
  Run in debug mode:                                                         -g (same as option: -ldebug)                                                                                                                                     
  Output plain text only:                                                    -t                                                                                                                                                               
  This help information:                                                     -h or --help                                                                                                                                                     

Notes:
1. For checking for the proper build environment for the HPLIP supplied tarball (.tar.gz or .run),
use the --compile or --both switches.
2. For checking for the proper runtime environment for a distro supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc),
use the --runtime switch.

If not, try hp-check -t to see what it spits out.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Tue Apr 13, 2010 15:04

Not sure if it matters, but with latest cups/postscript drivers from Entropy I did not need hplip anymore to start working with my Network Laser printer.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 16:10

This may be totally unconnected but I am getting errors since the recent cups/postscript update.
I have 2 printers, one is an HP deskjet and the other a Samsung laser.
The HP will scan OK but will not print at all
The Samsung will print one job and then I have to reboot to get it to print another.
Using CUPS for a test page on the HP I get this error message:
stopped
"/usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstops failed"
Attached is the result of hp-test which shows two errors.

SL 5.0 x86K fully updated and running 2.6.33 kernel
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Hardware