Grub won't install to root 5.2

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

Grub won't install to root 5.2

Postby leobing » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:19

I have searched in your forum "sort of" with no help what ever. I don't like the way your search works. I get messages about "too common a word" or "not enough info". Useless!
Anyway here is my problem:
I can install Sabayon kde 5.1 or 5.2 and it looks like everything is great but as I use a "boot manager XOSL" I want to have grub boot into the root of Sabayon eg: /sda3 and not MBR.
The installation says it is installing grub but I cannot boot with XOSL to sda3 sabayon. Using older versions of Sabayon did install grub to the root of sda3 or sda7 or where ever I installed Sabayon. The only way I can boot into Sabayon is the use sda2 Slackware and set lilo to have Saybayon as one of the choices in lilo to boot.
I only run Linux not anyhting from willy gates and I like to have several Linux versions on my drives so I can compare them. Hence the boot manager XOSL. XOSL works with all my other Linux versions so what is so different about Sabayon 5.1 and 5.2? Maybe I can install lilo instead of grub and try that. What do you think?
Posted while running Vector 6.
LINUX, no virus, no worms, no spy ware, no charge, so why Windows?
< running Linux > VE7UW/VE7OKV
leobing
Baby Hen

Re: Grub won't install to root 5.2

Postby joost » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:39

http://joostruis.blogspot.com/

I know its not about a macbook, but I kinda explain how to manally install grub2 to the root partition.
joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Grub won't install to root 5.2

Postby PennyRoyal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:32

Possibly this will help??

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20227&start=30#p115040

Penny
Sabayon 14 KDE64
i7 4770K @ 3.5
MSI Z87-GD65 w/CM V8 HSF
16GB Vengeance DDR3 w/GMCEC0 HSF
EVGA GTX670 x2 SLI