windows 7 / grub2.. ?

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

windows 7 / grub2.. ?

Postby BaidareW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 21:02

Hi,
I had already windows 7 installed. And every distro I am trying to install with grub2 (well didn't try with grub 1) it fails to boot. Everything goes well during installation (linux mint, sabayon and others), but after restart from installation disk windows 7 boots and no menu to choose from (grub 2 in wrong place ?)

I have sata raid 2x1GB HDD, windows made one small partition during installation, second partition for windows and third for data. Made room for linux even before installing windows.

My favorite distro was Linux Mint, but want to give chance to Sabayon for it's speed :)
BaidareW
Baby Hen

Re: windows 7 / grub2.. ?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 21:54

I have literally just finished installing SL 5.2 amd64 KDE on a laptop to dual boot with already-installed Windows 7. I used EasyBCD to set up the dual booting. EasyBCD makes it easy to configure the Windows 7 boot loader to call Grub2. The overall method is given in the post Re: Questions about installation of Sabayon w/ Windows 7.

EDIT (May 9, 2010 15:46 BST): I have created an article in the SL Wiki about how to configure a PC with Windows 7 or Windows Vista already installed to dual boot with Sabayon Linux: Dual Boot Sabayon Linux and Windows.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby BaidareW » Wed Mar 31, 2010 19:14

i forgot to mention that I tried to use easybcd latest beta, but it didn't work. I will try to analyze your link now..
BaidareW
Baby Hen

Postby BaidareW » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:02

Tried to install ubuntu 10.04 beta2 but also problems. It seems that installer can't write boot loader at all. In installation process I had message about error and had opportunity to select all hard disk partitions manually one by one, none of them was writible and installation finished without writing boot loader to HDD.

Now active is Windows 7 partition in 100MB of size created by windows installation.
BaidareW
Baby Hen

Postby Jawsdaws » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:33

Your problems are probably because of your raid setup. I'd guess your using a FakeRaid controller, and you'll need to find a guide to your hardware. I don't know much about FakeRaid, but from my experience it's a pain to get a boot-able setup. Hope this helps.
Jawsdaws
Baby Hen

Postby k542105816 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 0:18

there may be some problem between grub2 and win7 oem
k542105816
Baby Hen

Postby donnie » Wed Apr 28, 2010 16:39

I had only Sabayon, after that installed Win 7, now dual-booting.

I used CoreCD to restore MBR of /dev/sda. Before that, Sabayon booted from /dev/sda1. From CoreCD:
Code: Select all
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/floppy
# grub2-install --root-directory=/mnt/floppy /dev/sda

After that I was able to boot Sabayon again, and from there add menuentry for Win 7 (installed on /dev/sda2) in /etc/grub.d/40_linux:
menuentry “Windows 7″ {
set root=(hd0,2)
chainloader +1
}

From Sabayon, removed grub.cfg from boot partition (/dev/sda1) and generated a new grub.cfg:
rm /mnt/sda1/boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/sda1/boot/grub/grub.cfg

When booting Win 7 for the first time, choose "normal boot", don't chose restore.

If you want spend time on operation system that even cannot boot GUID (GRUB2 and Mac OS X - can), go ahead :)
donnie

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**