Trouble with GRUBle

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Trouble with GRUBle

Postby wheresmygoat » Wed Oct 25, 2006 17:26

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums(semi-new to linux), and I've got a question for you guys.
This is a dual boot setup on a M570u laptop(I can list specs if I need to) that I'm having trouble with. Windows XP Pro and (insert any version of linux that uses GRUB as the default bootloader)

Now the problem is the optical drive. When I boot up Windows with the GRUB bootloader installed the optical drives completely dissapear and are completely non-functional. I know this is being caused by GRUB because LILO doesn't have the same problem. I've tried several distributions, and GRUB always does the same thing. LILO always works. I'm wondering if there is a simple fix for GRUB that will take care of this, because I don't want to go through the hassle of changing from GRUB to LILO. Sabayon is by far the most compatible distribution I've found for my laptop(and the only one I can install and get XGL to work, SUSE doesn't even like my lappy), the only real problem I'm having is with GRUB. :(

Although I wouldn't think it was a bad idea to have my choice of bootloaders during the install, just for issues like this.(seems like a good idea if aiming for maximum compatability) :wink:

Reccomendations?
wheresmygoat
Baby Hen

Postby wheresmygoat » Thu Oct 26, 2006 20:24

Anybody got any ideas? Should I just try switching to LILO?
wheresmygoat
Baby Hen

Postby cvill64 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 23:06

I would suggest, for you, that yes, you switch to lilo

the reason we don't have lilo is because grub is generally more compatible and the only one that works on x86-64 arch. gentoo-wiki.com will have a lilo tutorial for you to follow :)
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby wheresmygoat » Fri Oct 27, 2006 0:08

Alright thanks! (I still think it's a good idea to have a choice, but maybe default to GRUB)
wheresmygoat
Baby Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion