Can't load module usbcore(?) for webcam 0c45:6009 [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Can't load module usbcore(?) for webcam 0c45:6009

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 21:24

According to this page, the driver for your Webcam (Vendor ID 0c45, Product ID 6009) is the module gspca_sonixb. According to /usr/src/linux/.config for the 2.6.32-sabayon kernel, CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SONIXB=m, so doing a modprobe gspca_sonixb as suggested by smb96, is the correct thing to do for your hardware. If it doesn't work then I'd give up and buy a different Webcam.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 21:42

Regarding your error message:

Code: Select all
[10739.529107] usb 1-1.2: usb_submit_urb() failed, error -28

Google showed up the following Ubuntu Forums thread regarding your Webcam driver:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=621815&page=2

Notice Post No. 17:

rickyrockrat wrote:The -28 problem is because you have another USB device plugged into the same hub (by hub, I mean motherboard hub). Even plugging in another hub will cause this issue. I also removed my bluetooth driver since I don't have any bluetooth devices.

-28 is a "no space left on device" and in this case it means not enough bandwidth.

Cheers.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ReemZ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 22:15

Fitzcarraldo wrote:According to this page, the driver for your Webcam (Vendor ID 0c45, Product ID 6009) is the module gspca_sonixb. According to /usr/src/linux/.config for the 2.6.32-sabayon kernel, CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SONIXB=m, so doing a modprobe gspca_sonixb as suggested by smb96, is the correct thing to do for your hardware. If it doesn't work then I'd give up and buy a different Webcam.

No need to buy a new one, got one that worked in SL4 (be it flaky but it worked) so I'm just gonna try 'n get that one running in SL5 too, basically just wanted to see if I could get this one to work too.
Now at least I know I won't have to keep trying :mrgreen:

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Regarding your error message:

Code: Select all
[10739.529107] usb 1-1.2: usb_submit_urb() failed, error -28

Google showed up the following Ubuntu Forums thread regarding your Webcam driver:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=621815&page=2

Notice Post No. 17:

rickyrockrat wrote:The -28 problem is because you have another USB device plugged into the same hub (by hub, I mean motherboard hub). Even plugging in another hub will cause this issue. I also removed my bluetooth driver since I don't have any bluetooth devices.

-28 is a "no space left on device" and in this case it means not enough bandwidth.

Cheers.

Hmm guess I overlooked that one when googling for that very same error, thanks for finding it for me :oops:

Thanks a lot Fitz, saved me some sweat here ;)
Now how do I mark this........[Unsolvable]? :mrgreen:
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Re: Can't use webcam 0c45:6009 [Unsolvable, hardware issue]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 22:22

Well, first let's see if it works with the other Webcam, 'cause that "not enough bandwidth" thing bothers me.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Can't use webcam 0c45:6009 [Unsolvable, hardware issue]

Postby ReemZ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 22:28

Had the same error with this cam in the SL4 install, but the other cam worked when I still used that so I'm not tóó worried about it. I'll try anyway and report back, some time this week (I think) ;)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby ReemZ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 23:42

Now this is odd...I've simply tried unplugging the cam from the usb hub and sticking it straight into the puter: works!
Now all I'll need is an extension cable :mrgreen:
Don't understand why it won't work through the hub though :scratch:
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby ReemZ » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:43

Well, thís cam is unusable for now, as webcam via msn protocol isn't implemented in Kopete yet, according to kde.org, and the cam is a no-go for Skype. The other one I have (046d:08f6) wíll work with Skype...as soon as I can get me some drivers for it, neither qc-usb-messenger nor any gspca shows up in either Entropy or Portage (yes, up2date) so camming's out of the question for me for now.
Plugged the other cam in the hub and dmesg'd, same error.
Gonna try plugging the external harddrive (WD Book) into the hub and see if it works or gives that same error, tomorrow.

Perhaps changing the thread title to that error message, to keep things on topic here, is a good idea?
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:50

Based on that "not enough bandwidth" error, I'd try removing the hub and plugging one USB device at a time into your PC to see if it works. If rickyrockrat is correct, it appears you have too many USB devices plugged in at the same time.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ReemZ » Mon Mar 15, 2010 14:57

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Based on that "not enough bandwidth" error, I'd try removing the hub and plugging one USB device at a time into your PC to see if it works. If rickyrockrat is correct, it appears you have too many USB devices plugged in at the same time.

That's just it Fitz, I tried that and when I plug the cam straight into the PC, bypassing the hub, it works.
Tried the usb socket on the front of the box: works. Tried on of the usb sockets in the back: works.
Can't really make use of it as Skype won't take that particular cam and Kopete chat windows using msn-protocol don't show the 'send cam' and 'view cam' buttons (yet) as it's not implemented yet, but the config dialog shows a pic, so the cam works.
The hub itself though is unused atm, apart from an extension cable for my phone/digital camera, to which neither is connected atm. Both work flawlessly btw. Think it's a combination of webcam+hub that's a no-go...
btw all usb sockets in the pc are 2.0 and so is the hub.
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 16:15

Woops, sorry didn't see your previous post about unplugging the Webcam from the USB hub and plugging it straight into the USB socket on your PC.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware