Weird Tomcat Issue - Pages won't load [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Weird Tomcat Issue - Pages won't load [Solved]

Postby iamkrazee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 23:57

I had to scratch my head until I went bald, but this seems to be the only way. I think I need entropy managers' attention on this.

The process goes something like this:

1. Tomcat gets installed.

2. _ISSUE_ : The webapps are located under /var/lib/tomcat-6/ according to Gentoo handbook. BUT, unless and until I copy my ROOT folder from windows installation of tomcat, NO pages will load. I donno how this is so, but NO pages will load until the ROOT folder is there.
-->For ex. my project 'mpulse' was under /var/lib/tomcat-6/webapps/mpulse/ . The index page didn't open at all. I copied '/media/500-win7/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Tomcat 6.0/webapps/ROOT' to /var/lib/tomcat-6/webapps and mpulse starts working.
-->Work around : Keep windows setup with you??

3. _ISSUE_ : On every reboot /var/tmp/tomcat-6 is gone, and it won't return until manually configured.
-> [WorkAround 1] : Create a start/stop script that creates the folder before starting the script.
-> [WorkAround 2] : Change the /etc/conf.d/tomcat-6 file. (Risky i'd guess, I'd to re-install tomcat)
Last edited by iamkrazee on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:42, edited 1 time in total.
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Re: Weird Tomcat Issue -- Pages won't load

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 23:59

Don't use Tomcat myself, but there seem to be several bug reports against it in the Gentoo Bugzilla. Is Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 180519 (and Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 257376) the same problem you're having, by any chance? Looks like it's still being addressed.

I also see from Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 305269 that Version 6.0.24 of Tomcat has been released by its developers, but an ebuild for it is not in Portage yet and therefore not in Entropy yet. Perhaps that version would fix your problem. Unfortunately it looks like you'll need to wait until it gets bumped in Portage and then finds its way into Entropy before you can check to see if it does.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby iamkrazee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:05

I'm on phone right now, can't check the bugs.. but good to know it's being reported. Cause more I look around, more I realise that tomcat's like gone behind the curtains of time. Also, I don't think I'll upgrade tomcat ever again, I've finally got it running nicely. Can't risk it again.
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Postby iamkrazee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:09

They're exactly my problems. Just the difference being that nobody's reported of weird behavior of tomcat server. Like you open pages that you know don't exist, and it opens a blank page regardless. Since I copied the ROOT folder from windows, that has never happened again..
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area