I'm way to new for this

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

I'm way to new for this

Postby temiller » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:56

Ok, so I'm a complete newb at linux. I want to learn, and I can't seem to figure anything out.

I want to run Google Chrome as my browser. How in blazes do you install it? I've searched and searched, and easily could have passed on by it from being confused.

I want to use WINE so i can use Microsoft Office. I can still use it on my other computer, or even partition windows onto another drive, but I would also like to use it on Sabayon. I have no idea what Wine to install. Or how.

I want to mess with Compiz fusion, but I have no idea how. I can generally figure out stuff on a computer on my own, but i'm absolutely lost with linux. I think I just need that push over the learning curve I think.

I'm running KDE4 x86 by the way.

Any help would be appreciated.
temiller
Baby Hen

Re: I'm way to new for this

Postby wolfden » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04

I suggest you start with our wiki and learn the package manager and keep reading through the wiki. KDE4 and Compiz aren't installed together as KDE4 has it's own compositing, but you can add compiz too it.

Our wiki will help you get started with reading and on your way. Also see the sticky at the top of this forum, Resources for You
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby catalyst » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:19

Welcome to sabayon.
Sabayon's package manager is entropy, it can be accessed in 1 of 2 ways, either through sulfur which is the graphical user interface or through equo which is the command line interface.
In KDE sulfur should show up on your desk top in the system tray as a green shield icon with a white tick in it, right click this icon & select " launch package manager " , for equo open a terminal type" su " to gain root access hit enter them type in your root password, you should read the following 1st.
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... t_to_do.3F
This will provide you with all the necessary information.
As a general rule compiz & kde are not good bed fellows, kde has its own desk effects which can be found by clicking the following in turn. kickoff menu ( should be bottom left corner of screen ) followed by -> computer -> system settings -> desktop .

cheers: catalyst64
Desktop HP Pavilion a1040a
Intel P4: 515J processor: 2.93 Ghz: 1.5 Gb ram
2 x sata HDD
ATI Radeon X300 SE PCI-Ex
Sabayon-9 Gnome x86
Laptop HP Pavillion dv6-7031tx Netbook
Intel core i7 3610 2.3 Ghz
Nvidia GeForce GT 630m
Sabayon-9 Kde
catalyst
Simple Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37

temiller wrote:I want to run Google Chrome as my browser. How in blazes do you install it? I've searched and searched, and easily could have passed on by it from being confused.

In Linux it's called Chromium. It's available in Entropy so to use the CLI method do this (as root) after making sure your entropy is updated.
Code: Select all
equo install chromium --ask
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby iamkrazee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 21:43

dunsurfin wrote:In Linux it's called Chromium. It's available in Entropy so to use the CLI method do this (as root) after making sure your entropy is updated.

Not quite. Correct command would be:
equo install www-client/chromium-bin

or

www-client/chromium
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 21:54

iamkrazee wrote:
dunsurfin wrote:In Linux it's called Chromium. It's available in Entropy so to use the CLI method do this (as root) after making sure your entropy is updated.

Not quite. Correct command would be:
equo install www-client/chromium-bin

www-client/chromium

It's not necessary to use the category. I repeat, to install chromium all you need is
and I always add --ask to see exactly what is going to happen before I commit,
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area