New to GNU/LINUX (I need help)

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

New to GNU/LINUX (I need help)

Postby osmodivs » Sun Feb 07, 2010 0:54

I´ll try to express myself in my best english.
First i had Windows XP on my PC, then i got a LINUX/Sabayon CD from a magazine and installed the O/S deleting Windows -and all my info-, cuz i did´t know (and still) anything about disk partitions.
I tried Linux for a couple of weeks and it was so frustrating, i could not open programs with just a double click, i had to use a compiller someone say to me, i´m no programer so i decided to switch to windows again -deleting all my info again-.
But one thing was for sure, the 3d modeling program (Blender) i was using under SABAYON worked much better than in Windows Xp.
So, i decide to change my O/S to Sabayon/LINUX again, but this time with help from the comunity.
Can some one tell me how to install a distro? I need a dual boot, i still need windows for my wife.
and also:
What is the best distro for video, photo & 3d modeling?
osmodivs
Baby Hen

Re: New to GNU/LINUX (I need help)

Postby mozart1 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:32

The easiest way is to buy a new hard drive and install the Linux distribution there, keeping your windows drive untouched. Otherwise, if you don't want spend money, you must repartition your disk.
How much free space do you have? Download the Parted Magic Linux distribution and use it to resize your current drive, for example if you have:

Code: Select all
|-----C:\-----80G|------D:\----80G|
|******__________|***_____________|
|----------------|----------------|

you can resize D:
|-----C:\-----80G|D:\ 30G|-----50G|
|******__________|***____|________|
|----------------|-------|--------|

Then install Linux in the 50G free space, user friendly installers
will provide a default layout for you.

Anyway, search engines are your best friends, just google your question :)
mozart1
Baby Hen

Postby DHalens » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38

About the best distro for anything, just search for a distro that fits your needs. In this case, check that a distro has the programs you want in their repositories. You can check if a package is available in sabayon here: http://sabayonlinux.org/packages

About partitioning and dual boot, what mozart1 is briefly what you have to do. Probably a gparted quick guide is what you want (all partitioner programs are similar, including sabayon installer one).
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby osmodivs » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:21

Thanks to everybody.
Well, i guess I´ll have to buy another HDD, a HITACHI Deskstar 2TB is my choice.
Anyway, if i want to download Sabayon 5.0, wich one do you guys recomend?, i have an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.
Or should i "google it?"
Come on guys! Im no expert, im just a photagrapher who does NOT like windows anymore. So, can you tell me how to compile (open files) in Linux too? double click does not work anymore.
osmodivs
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Sun Feb 07, 2010 13:33

Or should i "google it?"
Come on guys! Im no expert,

This is not the right way to work with Linux... you should always try to find out what you need by yourself, if you can't, then the community will try to help you. That advise is very useful, searching something using google is no expert thing.

However I think that any Linux could satisfy your needs, including Sabayon. I recommend you the latest version and to avoid the CoreCD ones, they are aimed for expert users which want to build the system from scratch.
There is a KDE edition or Gnome one, which one is best suited for you is your choice.
You can always google for their differences :mrgreen:
http://www.gnome.org/about/
http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/

The Intel Core 2 Duo processor is a 64bit one, so you can choose the AMD64 version of Sabayon.
So you should choose from the Gnome version:
Sabayon_Linux_5.1-r1_amd64_G.iso

or the KDE one:
Sabayon_Linux_5.1-r1_amd64_K.iso

be careful burning the ISO, you should perform checksum and burn them at slow speed,
there is a wiki article on it:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Checking_the_integrity_of_a_LiveCD_or_LiveDVD

Notice that you can always install a version, for example the Gnome one, and later on install KDE on it, there are also many other desktop environments, like XFCE, that you can choose.

Compiling in Linux is not strictly needed, all you need is your package manager, Sabayon has entropy and portage (inherited from Gentoo), portage is for advanced users, you should stick to entropy at the beginning.

Sulfur is the program that will use entropy to install software in your system, it is kinda like the Windows utility to install and remove software, just much more powerful, because it can also list all the available software and install it.
You could also want to use the equo utility, that is just like Sulfur, but it works in text mode (in a console).

So what you should do is install a version of Sabayon, launch Sulfur, update the package list, update the system and install whatever you want.
It is discouraged to compile software manually (like your friend said) and install it without using those applications.

If you can explain more in depth your problems, maybe we can help you better, like, what do you mean by "double click does not work anymore"?
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby osmodivs » Sun Feb 07, 2010 16:01

Thank you dear Old Hen Micia for your help.
By double click i mean like Windows, when you double click ona an .EXE file, it will execute, not in Linux, i dont even know what is the extension for executable files in Linux.
I bought a book, LINUX in a nutshell, but its just so confusing, its for ppl who allready know the O/S. Ill stick with the communiy.
:D
osmodivs
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:37

Actually Linux does not have an extension for executable files :lol:

Linux can run a file by looking at its permissions, if a file has the rights to be executed, Linux will do it, otherwise it will give a "Permission denied" error.
Each user has certain permission over a file, permissions are subdivided in User (the user who own the file), Group (each user belongs to one or more groups) and Others (everyone who is not the User and does not belongs to the Group).

The permission that a file can have are Read, Write an eXecute, they are ofter abbreviated with rwx, if the file is a directory, x is interpreted as "crossing" the directory.
If the one who tries to execute the file has not the x permission over it, he/she cannot execute it.
Downloaded files, often, have not that permission turned on, for security reasons.

Each "user friendly" Desktop Environment, such as Gnome, KDE or XFCE provide a way to easily change these permissions, usually right click, properties, permissions or similar.

Take a look at this: http://www.freeos.com/articles/3127/

If you want to learn to use Linux, you will find it pretty difficult at the beginning, but if you will understand (and like it), you will find it pretty powerful, you are able to share the PC with many users, keeping it safe at the same time.

The basic things to know in order to be able to use Linux well are the terminal (or console, or bash), how the user system works and the permissions system.

Probably what you could not open was a downloaded file or a script.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby DHalens » Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:42

To put it more clear: do NOT download a program from anywhere and try to install it. Use the package manager (you should have a shortcut in the sabayon desktop) and if the program is not there, ask to add it.

Sulfur (graphical interface of sabayon package manager) has changed since the wiki entry was created but you'll get the idea of how it works: http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=Sulfur
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby Coma » Mon Feb 15, 2010 18:58

all the above is good advice, but keep this in mind when setting up a dual boot with windows
when installing grub, be sure to install it to the first sector of the linux partition and not windows MBR
otherwise you'll wipe out windows MBR and not be able to get into windows a good program to help with this problem is
easyBCD ( google it ;-) )
this works great for windows Vista, but I myself am having issues with this in windows 7, at first i thought grub wasnt installing, so i wiped out my windows7 install and reinstalled SL, and grub installed fine, so maybe those damn Microsuckzors :twisted: did something new so that you cant bypass the windows MBR on bootup, if anyone has a suggestion about this please chime in.
Coma
MY SYSTEM...
Processor:
AMD Phenom X4 9500 Quad Core
Vido Card:
Nvidia 8800 GTS
Ram:
8 GB
Monitors x 2:
HP w2408h 24 inch HDMI LCD (1920 x 1200)
and
Gateway 22 inch HD LCD (1680 x 1050)
Coma
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area