Trouble with partitions

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Trouble with partitions

Postby osmodivs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 22:49

When i inserted an Ubuntu Live CD on Windows Xp, it asked me if i want to install and have a dual boot, i did and I installed Ubuntu 8. something, and then upgraded to 9.10, but now, when i turn on my PC, i have like 6 options to choose from -see picture-, i think the older version of Ubuntu did not delete, is there a way to do that? I would rather have Sabayon 5.01 there instead.
dualboot.JPG
osmodivs
Baby Hen

Re: Trouble with partitions

Postby Stupot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 22:59

Just a note for those who would attempt to help, he's using grub 1.97 (grub2), so this isn't a simple matter of editing grub.conf/menu.lst.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby _cnfss_ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:27

This is not grub2

The two Ubuntu's (actually four, 2 pairs) lines, are one for each Kernel installed, but not THE WHOLE system, that means that you have ONE installation of Ubutu, but, inside of it, you just have 2 different versions of the linux Kernel.

Now, if you want to install SL or any other thing, you should do the same process, Insert live CD/DVD boot, install "Want to have a dual boot?" or something, "YES" end of the story.. Just take a look of your disk space usage...

I recommend you to check the requirements ... if you have a 20gb spaces "slot" then go for it and install SL...

In any case, I don't know if SL's grub 1 overwrites Ubuntu's Grub2...
You should check that too..

Sorry for my bad English (I know this quote is not mine,(DHalens CopyLEFT?) but it's the truth :) )
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
"Sólo dos cosas son infinitas, el universo y la estupidez humana, y no estoy seguro acerca de la primera."
- Albert Einstein
_cnfss_
Growing Hen

Postby osmodivs » Thu Feb 11, 2010 15:55

When i enter Windows Xp, it makes me choose again, Windows or Ubuntu, maybe because Windows, in the first place asked me to install the new O/S when i introduce the Ubuntu live CD.
Well, can some one tel me how to delete the old version?
osmodivs
Baby Hen

Postby DHalens » Thu Feb 11, 2010 16:52

I still don't get if there is a partition that can be deleted or not... Please as root, fdisk -l and also try to tell us what is in each one of the partitions reported.

As a side note, the grub in the screenshot IS grub 2.

_cnfss_ wrote:Sorry for my bad English (I know this quote is not mine,(DHalens CopyLEFT?) but it's the truth :) )

Being humble allows you to avoid being yelled if you do a fail. :mrgreen:
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby osmodivs » Thu Feb 11, 2010 21:30

Excuse me, but i do not know how to use the bash.
I cheked in Palimpset on Ubuntu and this is what i got:

My 160 HDD:
160GB/149GiB Master Boot Record (MBR)
/dev/sda

System archives of 97GB
97GB/91GiB
System archives NTFS
Partition 1 (HPFS/NTFS (0X07))
dev/sda1 mounted in /media/6A9CA6089CA5CF3F

Extended of 63GB
63GB/58GiB
Not recognized
Partition 2 (extended (0x05))
/dev/sda2

System archives of 60GB
60GB/56GiB
Linux Ext4 (ver 1.0) system archives
Partition 5 (Linux (0.83))
dev/sda5 mounted in [it just shows a blue /]

Exchange area of 2.6GB
2.6GB/2.4GiB
exchange space
Partition 6 (Linux exchange (swap) (0x82))
dev/sda6/
osmodivs
Baby Hen

Postby DHalens » Fri Feb 12, 2010 14:28

Translated to plain words: 97 GB for a windows, 60 GB for a linux and 2.6 GB for a swap.
You don't have yet a free partition for Sabayon. You'll have to resize one of the current ones first if you want to install it.
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby osmodivs » Fri Feb 12, 2010 16:37

Well, how do i partition my HDD?
And also, since that is going to take some memory, how do i delete the extra O/S, ((Ubuntu 2.6.31-14 generic)( & recovery mode)) at the beginning of the boot? and leave Ubuntu 2.6.31.19 and its recovery mode intact?
I should mention that i allready UNinstalled Ubuntu on Windows Xp, but nothing changed at the beginning of the boot screen.
I apreciate all of your help, old dear hen.
thank you.
osmodivs
Baby Hen

Postby DHalens » Sat Feb 13, 2010 16:40

You don't have an extra OS, just an extra kernel (which can be useful in case of issues with the one in use). You just have a windows system and a ubuntu.

To remove the old kernel from ubuntu, please ask the ubuntu guys.

To install Sabayon, first you'll need to resize one of your current partitions to leave space for another partition. How to do that is probably already answered on this forum (and in many gparted in many webpages) so search a little bit.
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area