New to Linux

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

New to Linux

Postby Tasogare413 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:58

I tried using a couple linux distributions a while back, and settled with Sabayon 3.4 mostly due to graphical appeal.
After a while i got frustrated with having no internet (laptop with built in WiFi and could not find the driver)
I have recently installed the new 5.1 and have two problems..
1) Still cannot find the WiFi driver. (HP Pavilion DV2419)
2) I see people spinning the box around by carrying a window, how can I do that?
I have been right clicking a window to get to Configure Window Behavior, I cannot find out how to get to the beryl manager.. Hoping that is all I need to do.

I am a computer guy, but not much of a software guy, I am hoping linux will help me be both.
Thank you for the help.
Tasogare413
Baby Hen

Re: New to Linux

Postby micia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13

Hi, welcome to the Sabayon forums :mrgreen:

Can you tell us which is your wifi card?
You can post the output of lspci, open a console and become root using su then run that command:
Code: Select all
su
lspci

To get the cube desktop you have to use compiz-fusion, beryl has been replaced by it.
compiz-fusion is known to have some issue with KDE4, but KDE4 has its own desktop effects, pretty similar to the compiz-fusion ones.

To enable the desktop effects on KDE4 you have to play around with the settings-manager, I can't help you very much since I don't use KDE4.
To enable compiz-fusion, just launch the fusion-icon (it should be in the main menu), an icon will appear in the system tray, so you will be able to configure it there.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Tasogare413 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 15:51

broadcom wireless
cannot find the compiz fusion
the built in ready to use stuff is cool enough, would just like more options, like the windows going up in flames..
(pretty sure i can find a walkthrough for all that)
after i get used to using it as an OS file store and media center, i might try the Wine thing.. think all i have is windows games

thanks
Tasogare413
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 17:59

broadcom is not enough, I would like to see the lspci output, otherwise I can only guess :)

I guess this could be useful to you, if your card is among those:
http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=17528&p=101162&hilit=Broadcom+Corporation+BCM4312#p101236
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Using_the_new_b43_driver

About compiz, do you have KDE4 or Gnome?
If you have Gnome, are compiz-fusion and fusion-icon packages installed?

You can check it using, in a console:
Code: Select all
equo query installed compiz-fusion
equo query installed fusion-icon
micia
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area