Hello First Post

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Hello First Post

Postby demag » Sun Feb 07, 2010 22:53

Hello,

Since leaving the clutches of Mr Gates 10 months ago I have been using PCLINUXOS on my main box and been getting on ok with it. However Kde was updated to 4.2 and I started having a few issues like not being able to detect drives properly. This is a spare box I have just built with an old AMD processor so I thought I'd try something different. I had a copy of Sabayon with a magazine and decided to try it. I ran the livecd on my main machine and it found all my drives without trouble! :D . So I have given it a go on this box and installed it to disk. The install went ok apart from one warning about the kernel but I decided to continue anyway as I had nothing to lose and it booted just fine! :lol:

I dare say there will be some issues to sort out but just at the moment I am quite pleased. Thankyou.
demag
Baby Hen

Re: Hello First Post

Postby genfool » Sun Feb 07, 2010 23:47

welcome aboard.
I have used sabayon for a couple years, was the first distro that found and used all my hardware.
Seems to be a bit addicting as I have tried others since, sabayon is my main distro.
Is easy to update, in a root terminal, equo update then equo install entropy equo conf update then equo upgrade
Do this as you see fit and will be up to date, no need to install again. Once you are updated, you can use equo search <package name> to find what you want, equo install <package name> to install. Entropy is a great package manager.
You can find help here, The irc freenode #sabayon is great source for help, and of course the wiki is good place to start.
Once again, welcome to sabayon and enjoy :)
genfool
Technological Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area