installing from terminal

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

installing from terminal

Postby warrior23 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:05

I've had about 2 years experience with Ubuntu/Kubuntu/OpenSuse/Fedora/Yellowdog And i thought i'd give Sabayon a go, It looked impressive but i can not install from Terminal, For example i use the typical "sudo apt-get install vlc" and i get "Sudo: apt-get: command Not Found", Does Sabayon not install from Terminal or something or am i retarded or what, It's shitting me, I try to do as much as i can from terminal so i can learn, I'muse to it now and i hate installing any other way.
warrior23
Baby Hen

Re: installing from terminal

Postby sjieke » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:39

Hello,

Sabayon is not Debian based, but Gentoo based. So 'apt-get' (which is the package manager for Debian won't work). On sabayon you have 2 package managers: portage and entropy.

Portage is the package manager inherited from Gentoo, it is meant for the more experienced users who want to compile everything...

Entropy is Sabayon's equivalent to apt-get. It is binary based and compatible with portage.

If you don't know what you are doing, meaning you don't have a lot of experience with the package managers it is recomended to use entropy and leave portage aside.

Entropy has 2 front-ends
1) equo: this is a command-line tool just like apt-get. To install vlc for example you execute the following command as root
Code: Select all
equo install --ask vlc

2) sulfur: this is a UI for equo, the equivalent of 'Synaptic package manager'.

More info can be found on the wiki

And welcome to Sabayon :alien:
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:21

And don't forget to
Code: Select all
equo update
first :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Feb 06, 2010 18:39

As I always say, it's vital to know the package manager of the distro and this is Gentoo
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Entropy
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area