Install printer driver [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Install printer driver [Solved]

Postby orbro » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:29

I purchased a new printer, a Canon MX320, the installation disc provided does not have any proper OS drivers on board, (oh, it has windows and mac, but that's all) I have downloaded a driver from the Canon site!! And I have no idea where to go from here, or what to do next. Can anyone help?
Last edited by orbro on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:52, edited 1 time in total.
orbro
Baby Hen

Re: Install printer driver

Postby marscat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:25

Sorry! I can not help you, but I would like to add my voice. I know that in SUSE the YAST manager has open drives for a lot of printers. So when I installed Sabayon 5.1, I went looking for a manager like YAST to install my HP LaserJet 4000. I have not as yet, figured out how to install a printer. I like the idea of writing to files instead of point and click, but I also would like to print those files.
marscat
Baby Hen

Re: Install printer driver

Postby orbro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51

Thank you for the interest, I was able to download a driver from the Canon site, but not having the experience in 3rd party software, it becomes tricky to install. It would appear that no-one in this forum has a clue what to do, and luckily, I'm also running Mandriva 2010 on another drive, got enough from the wiki there to get the printer up and running, so I'll stick to Mandriva and I'd advise all Linux users to do the same. Mandriva works!!
orbro
Baby Hen

Re: Install printer driver [Solved]

Postby wolfden » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:27

I assumed you checked cups to see if it was already there?

When you download drivers/software - there is a readme file of some sort that tells you exactly what to do to get it installed, did you even bother to look for that? You can always check with the Gentoo Printing Documentation http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml

Find drivers - http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... enprinting
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area