SL 5.0 KDE x64 & Compiz [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SL 5.0 KDE x64 & Compiz

Postby joeoden » Mon Nov 30, 2009 15:15

Thanks for the info Fitzcarraldo
I'll let you know if I come across something else
Joe
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby albfneto » Mon Nov 30, 2009 15:51

As an acditional info: my system is Sabayon originally GNOME, but i have also installed KDE and updating all the system. Now i have GNOME 2.28 and KDE 4.3.3.
In conditions that GNOME and KDE are installed complete versions, Compiz-Fusion works good, both in KDE as in GNOME.
for use Compiz-Fusion in KDE, change Kwin to Compiz, and GNOME sessions, change Metacity to Compiz.
Resuming, is possible to use Compiz, OR Metacity, OR Kwin, independent, in differents sessions.
seems to me that when the GNOME dependencies are satisfied, Compiz may runs under KDE environment also.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
albfneto@fcfrp.usp.br
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:50

^So, albfneto, you're saying that your installation has x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.1 (or xorg-server-1.7.2) and x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.4 installed, and Compiz works with those versions of the two packages?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 13:47

Actually I know the answer to my question to you already, albfneto: you are not (unless you have patched the Radeon driver, that is).

Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 293769 covers this problem with xorg-server-1.7.1 and xf86-video-ati-6.12.4

There is a patch for the defective driver xf86-video-ati-6.12.4 in the above-mentioned Gentoo bug report. I'm going to try to apply it now to see if I can get Compiz working with xorg-server-1.7.1 (or 1.7.2) and xf86-video-ati-6.12.4-patched.

EDIT: OK, I applied the patches to the two source code files r600_exa.c and radeon_exa_render.c and now I can start Compiz-Fusion (or Compiz as it has now been renamed: see the Compiz Wiki). :cheers:

I had to: a) unpack the driver's tarball; b) edit the above-mentioned two source code files; c) create a new tarball; d) copy it to the /usr/portage/distfiles/ directory; e) force the generation of a new manifest using ebuild --force (I had to unplug the Ethernet cable first because the ebuild command kept trying to download the original ebuild); f) merge the patched driver package.

So the whole problem is caused by a source code bug in the Radeon driver (the package xf86-video-ati-6.12.4). :evil:

Things are not quite perfect yet, though: for some reason I can't drag windows using my mouse. Clicking and double-clicking works fine. I'll have to play around a bit to see if it's a KDE 4 configuration issue or a Compiz (or Emerald) configuration issue. Or maybe it's because I'm using xorg-server-1.7.2 (which is hard-masked in Portage) rather xorg-server-1.7.1.

The annoying thing about this bug in the Radeon driver is that it was fixed upstream, i.e. by Freedesktop.org (= X.Org, AFAIK) on 3 September 2009. Some kind soul reported it -- and the solution -- in the Gentoo Bugzilla on 19 November. And yet here we are downstream with a buggy driver on 1 December. :cry: I wish this stuff would filter down quicker. Oh well.

EDIT2: OK, I downgraded back to xorg-server-1.7.1, re-merged all the X.Org drivers (which has to be done whenever you change xorg-server version), re-merged mesa, mesa-progs and libxcb (not sure if the latter was needed), and configured Compiz to my liking using CCSM. It all works beautifully now. So, to summarise: Compiz 0.8.4 + X.Org Server 1.7.1 + a patched Radeon driver 6.12.4 work fine together.

Hey, Joe! It works! :D Compiz is so much better than the KDE 4.3.3 Desktop Effects. I'm glad to have all the functionality back, including my old SkyDome.

Let's hope the Gentoo devs bump the Radeon driver ebuild soon so that everyone can benefit and the SL Entropy repository maintainer can build the binary for the Entropy repository too.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: SL 5.0 KDE x64 & Compiz [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 18:57

Just a note that the patch to fix the Radeon driver with Compiz has been incorporated in the 11 January 2010 ebuild xf86-video-ati-6.12.4-r1. I've just upgraded xorg-server to 1.7.4 and recompiled all my xorg drivers (which is essential after you upgrade the X.Org Server) including xf86-video-ati, which pulled in the new version 6.12.4-r1, so no more hacking is needed now.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area