Equo can not update "database does not exist online"

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Equo can not update "database does not exist online"

Postby Priapus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:52

This is a fresh install of Sabayon Linux 5.0 amd64.
When I run
Code: Select all
equo update
or
equo update --force
I get the following output
HAL9000 priapus # equo update
>> Repository sabayonlinux.org hasn't been downloaded yet.
>> Repository sabayonlinux.org is not available. Cannot validate
>> !!! Please update your repositories now in order to remove this message!
>>  @@ Repositories synchronization ...
>>      [pkg.sabayon.org:1026] Successfully connected to host
>>      [pkg.sabayon.org:1026] Successfully disconnected from host
>>   #  (1/1) Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>>   # Database URL: http://pkg.sabayon.org/standard/sabayonlinux.org/database/amd64/5
>>   # Database local path: /var/lib/entropy/client/database/amd64/sabayonlinux.org/standard/amd64/5
>>   # Database EAPI: 3
>>      Downloading repository database ...
>>      Attention: database does not exist online.

I have been getting this message for quite a while so I do not think it is a temporary problem with the server. I can access files located in http://pkg.sabayon.org/standard/sabayon ... se/amd64/5 with a webbrowser just fine. I'm not sure if it is related, but during the install process even though I was connected to the internet the update feature on the installer insisted I was not connected to the internet.
(I am also not sure if this is related, but on my computer In order for Firefox to access the Internet I must always set the network.dns.disableIPv6 setting in about:config to true.)
Thank you for your help.
Priapus
Baby Hen

Re: Equo can not update "database does not exist online"

Postby lxnay » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:09

There's a problem with your ISP/Router/Network.
Try running with --debug. If I have enough info I could add an config option to allow to disable IPv6 (it's not used by Entropy but bad IPv6 config could lead to broken IPv4).
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Priapus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:06

HAL9000 priapus # equo update --debug
entropy.client.interfaces.client: debug enabled
entropy.client.interfaces.client: SystemSettings loaded
entropy.client.interfaces.client: singleton loaded
>>  @@ Repositories synchronization ...
>>      [pkg.sabayon.org:1026] Successfully connected to host
>>      [pkg.sabayon.org:1026] Successfully disconnected from host
>>   #  (1/1) Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>>   # Database URL: http://pkg.sabayon.org/standard/sabayonlinux.org/database/amd64/5
>>   # Database local path: /var/lib/entropy/client/database/amd64/sabayonlinux.org/standard/amd64/5
>>   # Database EAPI: 3
>>      Downloading repository database ...
>>      Attention: database does not exist online.
entropy.client.interfaces.dep: get_unsatisfied_dependencies (not cached, deep: True) for => [u'=sys-apps/entropy-0.99.3.1~0']
entropy.client.interfaces.dep: get_unsatisfied_dependencies repository match not found for => =sys-apps/entropy-0.99.3.1~0
entropy.client.interfaces.dep: ...

I should also add that I have never had this problem on any previous installs of Sabayon Linux, and that I was successfully able to emerge --sync. (If that info is of any use.)
Priapus
Baby Hen

Postby Priapus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:53

Bump.

I have also noticed that I can not access to the Internet with Konqueror, Amarok, or KGet, since I did not have this problem with my previous installation (Sabayon 3.5), it makes me think that there is some sort of problem with the way Sabayon 5.0 handles my Internet connection.
Priapus
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 16:37

The problem is not SL; from what you have posted it is probable that your router and/or your ISP do not support IPv6 (which is why Firefox on your PC only works when you stop it from trying to use IPv6). Who is your ISP, and what manufacturer and model is your router? Look in your router's user manual and/or google your router model number and "IPv6" to check if it supports IPv6. You need to turn off IPv6 support in the kernel or try some other method of disabling IPv6 support. Try the following to see if it works (you'll need to restart after you make the edit): Disable IPv6 in Gentoo. If you can't find that file, look in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf instead.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby sbarthelmess » Wed Sep 07, 2011 22:43

Actually had this exact same problem. Has nothing to do with internet connection. It's obviously a "repo cannot be found" issue. I noticed that the url that was failing, so I dug deeper. Most of the older branches no longer exist anymore, so set your branch to "5" (mine was "4").

in /etc/entropy/repositories.conf:
# Branch default setting
branch|5

Then go ahead and run equo update, and continue along your merry way.

Regards,
-LatestLinux
sbarthelmess
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 16:43

sbarthelmess wrote:Actually had this exact same problem. Has nothing to do with internet connection. It's obviously a "repo cannot be found" issue.

Same symptom w.r.t. accessing the SL repository, but due to a different cause. Notice the date of the OP's post and the version of SL. Also, the OP stated "for Firefox to access the Internet I must always set the network.dns.disableIPv6 setting in about:config to true", which has nothing to do with the branch of SL but would explain difficulty in accessing the repository.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby greyghost » Mon Sep 19, 2011 16:38

I think I see the same problem here. Same symptoms, cannot find database online with both 5.3 and 6.0 installations. However, disabling ipv6 as suggested and rebooting alone does *not* fix this for me.
Up to now I had three machines with this problem, and at some point they started to work again. Unfortunately I still cannot say what the final trick was that did it.

The story so far:

- disabling ipv6 and rebooting does not fix it
- removing everything but files and dns from nsswitch.conf does not fix it
- removing ipv6 localhost entry in hosts does not fix it

After trying this, I rebooted two machines in a different network (same dns/dhcp software, though, namely dnsmasq, but maybe with slightly different setup). There everything started to work and continued to work when putting the machines back in the network they belong to.
With the third machine I had a look at the packets with tcpdump to see what is actually happening. I noted that two dns queries are sent from equo, namely one A? and one AAAA? query, both as ipv4 packets. dnsmasq answers both queries, the A? one with the correct ipv4 address, the AAAA? one with a address containing zeroes (unfortunately I did not save this). Finally I edited entropy/repositories.conf on the third machine and enabled developer repositories. Then equo update suddenly started to work in both networks, even when setting this back to "disabled" afterwards.

So I am a bit puzzled now:
What is actually going wrong?
Why does equo not pick up the correct A? answer?
Why does it ask AAAA? at all when I have disabled ipv6?
Why does changing networks or enabling developer repos finally fix the issue? Is there some kind of cache file that needs to be deleted/overwritten first?
Do I have to bug Simon (dnsmasq developer) to fix something about AAAA? answers in dnsmasq, or is equo/python doing the wrong thing here?

Any help on this is of course greatly appreciated.

cu
Gerrit
greyghost
Baby Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers