NetworkManager not working anymore

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

NetworkManager not working anymore

Postby Callipyges » Thu Jan 14, 2010 14:58

Hi,

I don't know why KNetworkManager doesn't want to connect me to any wifi. When I choose a connection even without encryption, he just ignore it. I tried to resinstall NetworkManager but it doesn't solve the problem.

I can make it working by killing the process NetworkManager and using Wicd but I would prefer to return under KNetworkManager. Is it any possibility to reset it? It hapenned after I delete the my .kde folder but I don't know if it's related.

Thanks
No I'm not illiterate, just from somewhere else =)
Callipyges
Young Hen

Re: NetworkManager not working anymore

Postby throdon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:56

a folder that starts with a "." means it's a hidden folder. it is hidden for a reason. so the inexperienced user DOES NOT MESS with it. I imagine deleting a hidden folder especially".kde" would have more serious consequences than just network manager.

as for getting this folder back like it's supposed to. I have no Idea. and you shouldn't be deleting any folders that you don't know what they do. even ones that don't look like they do anything, or look like they are empty.

you might have to do a full blown reinstall, or you could try to use the repair option on the liveDVD.

others might have some options, have you tried to reinstall KDE with sulfer or equo. I would try this option first, but defiantly get a second opinion.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby Callipyges » Sun Jan 17, 2010 15:13

Hi, thanks for answering

Actually I didn't delete the .kde directory for pleasure but I had issues with plasmoids and I was stuck. I did it twice because of another issue with the mad scrapie window when I wanted to test what was the elasticity option in the system settings. In both case I lost control on my desktop...

I didn't find a safemod with graphical interface (without theme, customizing, openGL...) so that beginners would be able to modify a setting if it's not supported. A good idea to submit it to the Dev Team?

Anyway i'll try to reinstall KDE, but I find a way to replace KNetworkManager by Wicd at launching so it's not a serious problem enough for me to reinstall Sabayon.
No I'm not illiterate, just from somewhere else =)
Callipyges
Young Hen

Postby throdon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 16:39

sorry about that after seeing some of your other posts, i saw you have been around the block and in other linux neighborhoods. hope you get things fixed.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area