when it boots, it has only text mode

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

when it boots, it has only text mode

Postby ahmad598 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:29

hi
I've installed 5.1 Gnome, and I selected to install gnome environment, and installation has been completed. but now, when it boots, it has just a command line, and no graphical interface is seen. whats the problem? and how can I solve it?

f.t: I tried installation 2 times.
ahmad598
Baby Hen

Re: when it boots, it has only text mode

Postby throdon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:27

did you use the text installer or the graphical installer.
there is another post around here about the text installer putting "no-x" in the grub confighttp://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=19561 read this and if this is your problem then you can fix it, but if it's not your problem then you need to tell us some more info on the install and your box. maybe you might have errors in your log files, you might have a bad md5sum, you might have burnt is at to fast of a speed. have a quick search around the forums and see if others have the same problems.http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16505 this is a good place to start and learn about sabayon. I also suggest our wiki and IRC.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby ahmad598 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:44

I tried this:
Code: Select all
sudo -i
killall gdm
gdm

and it was ok, and i saw the graphical interface. note that when I tried to start gdm before the "killall gdm" line, it said me that it's already open. and when i rebooted the system, again this problem was there. how can I say it to run gdm automatically?
thanx ;-)
ahmad598
Baby Hen

Postby Faun » Sat Jan 23, 2010 14:28

Did you update to new kernel without new drivers?
I have the same blinking problem, but am denied permission to enter into /etc/fstab file. Restarted before doing this and am now wondering if I need to revert to old kernel, which of course, I don't know how to do.
Hoping to see if someone knows how to resolve this for you/me.
Faun
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area