Did something REALLY dumb! :'(

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Did something REALLY dumb! :'(

Postby aramodo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 16:41

I had ubuntu 9.10 and Windows Vista on my system before. I simply removed the vista partition and installed Sabayon in its place.

Sabayon works perfectly (/dev/sda1) but I can't get into Ubuntu.

I've attached a screenshot of my partitions to the message. I guess Ubuntu is /dev/sda5?

Before I installed Sabayon, Ubuntu's copy of GRUB would have been on the MBR, so how can I install GRUB to Ubuntu's partition instead, and then chain load it from Sabayon's GRUB on the MBR?

Thanks
aramodo
Baby Hen

Re: Did something REALLY dumb! :'(

Postby Callipyges » Thu Jan 14, 2010 17:09

Hi,

It's unusual to setup an OS on an extended partition even if it should work for linux. Do you tried to repair the grub using ubuntu CD? It should recognize sabayon (and replace the mbr on the first partition)

Ps: I think the mbr should always being installed on the first of the disk so he has to be on the sabayon's.
No I'm not illiterate, just from somewhere else =)
Callipyges
Young Hen

Postby DontPanic » Thu Jan 14, 2010 18:53

Sabayon's installer will do it's best to discover the other operating systems on the disk, but it's not perfect.

So, first, make sure /dev/sda5 is Ubuntu.
Code: Select all
# mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
# mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/ubuntu

Now you can poke around that disk to make sure it's Ubuntu.

You might even want to add an entry for Ubuntu to your /etc/fstab.

If /dev/sda5 is your Ubuntu installation, examine Ubuntu's grub.conf file (should be at /mnt/ubuntu/boot/grub/grub.conf)

It may be as simple as copying the Ubuntu entry from Ubuntu's grub.conf to Sabayon's grub.conf (located at /boot/grub/grub.conf).

BTW, I've run lot's of linux installations from extended partitions. It's never been a problem for me, but YMMV.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby Callipyges » Thu Jan 14, 2010 23:30

Last version of Debian contained grub 2.0 and I guess since ubuntu 9.1 there is too.

If you have the Grub 2 you may search for boot/grub/menu.lst

But if you have the grub 2 maybe it would be better to use it instead of the grub of Sabayon...
Callipyges
Young Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Jan 15, 2010 15:56

That is incorrect.

Grub2 doesn't use /boot/grub/menu.lst, it uses a file called /boot/grub/grub.cfg. That file is not meant to be edited by any user (even root).

Grub2 hasn't proven itself to be very stable because I know a lot of people have had issues with it.

If you do have grub2 and want to try and get it to work, it has tools that can be used to try and get it to identify your OSes.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Callipyges » Sat Jan 16, 2010 16:14

Right it's better to use grub.cfg (used by menu.lst)

I tried Grub 2 and had some problem to add a Mac OSX entry (no makeactive partition) but works pretty well with windows and debian. Didn't tried SL.
Callipyges
Young Hen

Postby SpuriousBolognas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:58

When I ran Ubuntu 9.10, it did not use Grub2. You should be able to mount the Ubuntu partition and copy the relevant Ubuntu entries from /boot/grub/menu.lst into the same file on the Sabayon partition. I've done this in the past by using Puppy Linux. It boots from a CD into RAM, then you can mount partitions and edit files until the cows come home.
SpuriousBolognas
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area