Bootable partition on LVM

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Bootable partition on LVM

Postby neduard » Wed Jan 13, 2010 14:03

Hello everybody, first post and I guess I'll start with a quick introduction:
I decided yesterday to try out Sabayon linux, since Ubuntu is a little too user-friendly for me and because the installation process on Gentoo simply takes too long. Mind you, I have been using Gentoo for a while, so I'm familiar with portage and the works, also goes without saying that I have experience using Linux in general (though I admit that the problem I have now seems a bit noobish).

In any case, all my ext34 partitions are on lvm, including boot. I use grub2 and it has no problem detecting it.
The problem is that during the partitioning step of the install, I tried to mount /boot on my boot lv, but it wouldn't allow such a partition and thus I could not continue the installation. Now I don't mind if it doesn't support it, I just want it to copy the necessary files and do the configurations, because afterward I will be able to make changes to the kernel parameters so I can boot... basically I don't want the installer to worry about the booting part, just the installation and configuration. So my question is if this is possible?

I've searched the web, but the idea of having a normal partition set up as /boot isn't an option for me since my whole hdd is one big physical volume for the lvm.
I've also read about the option of installing stage3 Gentoo, then entropy, and from that point installing the whole Sabayon system, but I'm a bit reluctant since I'm not used to Sabayon and because I don't want to run into configuration problems (though I admit this is purely a supposition of mine, if there isn't any difference between the two methods, I'll happily install Gentoo, and the Sabayon 'layer').
neduard
Baby Hen

Re: Bootable partition on LVM

Postby wolfden » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:41

I am not an LVM fan nor use it, but I know the kernel supports it so this kinds seems odd. You check the md5sum and stuff like that?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Bootable partition on LVM

Postby neduard » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:50

didn't md5 checked, though the .iso was downloaded via bittorrent and the burn process was at the lowest speed.

neduard wrote:The problem is that during the partitioning step of the install, I tried to mount /boot on my boot lv, but it wouldn't allow such a partition and thus I could not continue the installation.

I was a little ambiguous here: lvscan and lvchange both work on the livedvd, and I am able to mount them. I can't however set the /boot partition of the to-be-installed system to a logical volume type one. This is probably because Sabayon uses grub 0.97 (or something), which doesn't support booting of lv.
neduard
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area