IP filtering suggestion?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

IP filtering suggestion?

Postby MadP_7 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 20:45

Hi! :D

I'm new to Sabayon and since I couldn't find anything related at documentation or at forum, here's my first post.

Any IP filtering suggestion?

I was using Peer Guardian ages ago, at Windows and iplist - ipblock until recently at Ubuntu.
Since I couldn't find iplist at repositories, what now? :)

Iplist has some instruction on his page for installing it at Gentoo ( http://iplist.sourceforge.net/download.html#gentoo ), but they are not very clear to me. I followed the instructions. What next?

PS. I know that today's torrent clients has implemented filtering, but I wanted a global solution (that not depends on the torrent client).

THANKS for your help!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!!
MadP_7
Baby Hen

Re: IP filtering suggestion?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:49

Don't need this kind of stuff myself, but have you seen Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 265024 which has an ebuild to apply and build rtorrent with ip filter support?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby MadP_7 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 14:05

Hi Fitzcarraldo!
THANKS for your help!!! :D

I was using azureus for torrents and amule for classic p2p, that both has support for ip filtering, but a global solution is safer than a client based one, since it prohibits blacklisted IPs to access the system in an OS basis.

I've heard really good words for rtorrent and I'll install it to test it.

I followed the iplist installation proccess (sunrise, emerge etc.), but although it's completed succesfully, both iplist - ipblock don't start.
Following the same steps I installed moblock, but I don't like very much it's command-line interface.
I'll try to install mobloquer as its GUI, but I couldn't figure out so far, how can I install its dependencies. :?

THANKS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D
MadP_7
Baby Hen

Postby DontPanic » Sat Jan 09, 2010 22:40

The URLs for where to retrieve block lists all seem to be dead for the ipblock package.

How long has it been since you've used this successfully in Ubuntu?
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby MadP_7 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:01

DontPanic wrote:The URLs for where to retrieve block lists all seem to be dead for the ipblock package.

How long has it been since you've used this successfully in Ubuntu?

Hi DontPanic! :D

For ~10 days.
Karmic indeed started last month, broking my packages one after another, beyond repair, so I had no other options than leaving ubuntu or rolling back to jaunty.
I have only good words to say for ubuntu, but now it's time for me to move on.

Today's morning, I was playing with debian (kde). Ipblock failed to install. (As with sabayon, ipblock installed (with kpackage), but it just not start. Brings only a message that needs updating before 1st use (in konsole. GUI is dead), but the updater can't start). Moblock and mobloquer installed, updated and configured successfully (although, since I don't have installed p2p software there, I didn't show them in action).
MadP_7
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area