Add repositories? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Add repositories? [Solved]

Postby Callipyges » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52

Hi,

I've just try sabayon yesterday, and I have some questions I don't find answers in the wiki, so sorry if my questions are a little bit stupid :roll:

Is it possible to add new repositories on the back of the SL official repositories? (maybe gentoo's) And where can I find some?
I've been in Mandriva before and there was such repositories to add and although SL's official repository is provided very with many rare softs, I can't find known ones like kpdf, foxit reader, Google chrome or google desktop, songbird, miranda... (I could use wine in last resort).

Does portage corresponds to the repositories? I mean they have the same packages?

Last edited by Callipyges on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52, edited 1 time in total.
No I'm not illiterate, just from somewhere else =)
Callipyges
Young Hen

Re: Add repositories?

Postby Azerthoth » Thu Jan 07, 2010 16:25

There is the official repository . Most of the applications you listed are in there, and the ones that arent you can make a package request for at http://bugs.sabyonlinux.org. You can find the one that are present with:
Code: Select all
equo search PACKAGENAME
Azerthoth
Simple Hen

Postby DHalens » Thu Jan 07, 2010 16:32

Portage and entropy are different things. So far, I think there's only one other repo besides the main one: limbo. It's called that way because is the repo used to test new packages before they go to main repo.

kpdf is a kde3 app, sabayon only has kde4 apps.
chrome is named chromium in sabayon (actually is a litle modified version of chrome)
foxitreader, google-desktop (has not much sense having beagle or nepomuk), songbird-bin and miranda can be requested to be added in our bugzilla webpage as pointed by Azerthoth.
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby Callipyges » Thu Jan 07, 2010 18:24

Ok, I think I got the difference Portage (emerge) from gentoo and Entropy (echo, sulfur)

I find chromium (useful for testing webistes for chrome). Google desktop is more interesting for his various widgets.

So no unofficial repository except limbo :mrgreen:
I must post some request to the bugzilla webpage but it seems to be down for now. Thanks for answering.

I read on other posts that there is no way to get work deb or rpm on SL. I must be wrong but alien is supposed to be able to convert rpm or deb in tar.gz. Does it have a chance to work?
Callipyges
Young Hen

Postby DHalens » Thu Jan 07, 2010 21:16

Very simple programs may work.
In a few words (not properly explained but easy to understand): almost all distros change a bit the paths where its files are stored and/or rename a bit the names of the programs and files so the more a program has to interact with others and the system, the more chances to not work.
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby Callipyges » Thu Jan 07, 2010 23:51

Said like that it makes sense ^^ Thanks for helping!

I've good feeling about this ditrib :wink:
Callipyges
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area