google apps and dotted box thing in firefox

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

google apps and dotted box thing in firefox

Postby throdon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 20:03

For those of you that use igoogle and gmail, does anyone know why this yellow bar shows up?
and in firefox what is the dotted box called and is there a way to activate this in chromium?
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Re: google apps and dotted box thing in firefox

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 20:19

I don't use igoogle and know nothing about chromium but to get rid of the missing plugin notification (a plugin that isn't available for Linux) you can do this:
Open the configuration page (about:config) accept the warning, scroll down to plugins_hide_infobar_for_missing_plugins, double click it to set it to "true" and restart Firefox.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby DHalens » Wed Oct 07, 2009 22:59

Yes, it's there for everybody. The plugin needed is the google gears one but at least for 64 bits is almost impossible to make it work.
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:09

those crazy google guys

Jump on them upstream to make it's gears easier to maintain in linux
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: google apps and dotted box thing in firefox/(half solved)

Postby throdon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:08

thank you about the google gears explanation.
now who knows whats the dotted box is called? or is it an event, because it is really only a place holder for the last link you have clicked. chrome/chromium are both missing this feature and I am even unsure if it is available.
thanks for half solving this.
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby phlo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:16

Hi,

this will solve your add-on request for 64bit SL 5.0

Google Gears addon

BR

Florian
phlo
Growing Hen

Postby hxod » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:57

Well, I have had the same problem.
I never liked to use e-mail client, but I do need to check my e-mail offline (damn, I live in Amazon, internet here is horrible). That's why I got really happy when google announced Gmail and Gcalendar Offline. BUT, unfortunately I never could try this... Firefox says that gears is not "suitable", and by Chromium, Gmail says that I'm not using a supported browser! Holy shit...

Does anyone have any idea? I really need this... and my abilities for searching are dying....

Sammondane,
Ĥod
hxod
Baby Hen

Postby throdon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:08

I can't remember but, google "google gears for linux" I don't know if you have x86 or x86_64 but I believe you can find it here.http://nielspeen.com/blog/2009/02/google-gears-64-bit/ go to where the comments start up and look at the bottom link that one works sometimes. as in every time you open your browser is a flip of the coin on whether it works. I just restart my browser till it works. I guess it might work for you, if you have an x86 sabayon I don't know if it works haven't use 32bit in a while. good luck. I hope this fixes it.
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby hxod » Wed Jan 06, 2010 17:02

Ahahahahaha,
yesterday, after hours I found Niels' page and by this link http://nielspeen.com/blog/wp-content/up ... -05210.xpi I successfully succeed to use Gears and Gmail Offline, but I was too tired to share the information, and now, fortunately I see you did it first. (:

Sammondane,
Ĥod
hxod
Baby Hen

Postby throdon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 17:22

dude, I spent 2 years here to scared to post, don't worry you will get more comfortable as time goes on.
I look back at some of my posts and dislike the noob that posted them, now as I am more comfortable with forums and my Sabayon, I am more willing to post. Forum confidence comes with time, be patient you will know when you are ready to post, so don't rush it.
throdon
Advanced Hen

Return to Off Topic