KDE 4 - Powerdevil - Don't Want [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

KDE 4 - Powerdevil - Don't Want [Solved]

Postby HBD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 21:46

Hello Sabayon community,

First off I'd like to start by saying that I've recently switched to Sabayon and that you've done a wonderful job with this distro. It's very stable, very fast, and user friendly without treating me like an idiot. I like it.

Now onto my problem. I running Sabayon 5.1 with KDE 4.3.4. I have a traditional computer(a tower, not a laptop) so I have no need for laptop power management. By that I mean Powerdevil. By that I mean my monitor shuts off every 5 minutes and it's annoying as heck. I've tried going to System Settings >> System >> Power Management and unchecking every option that allows Powerdevil to do anything at all but it still seems to like shutting my monitor off every 5 minutes(makes watching a Youtube video that's longer than 5 minutes inconvenient). At least, I assume it's Powerdevil. Screensaver is off and under System Settings >> Computer Administration >> Display >> Power Control it's set to power off after 60 minutes and standby and suspend are disabled.

I tried removing Powerdevil using Sulfur, but I guess since it's part of KDE that's why Sulfur wants to remove kdebase-meta as well, which obviously isn't what I want. So here's what I do want: I don't want Powerdevil on my computer at all(or at the very least completely disabled and powerless). If I can remove Powerdevil without removing kdebase-meta I'd like to know if it's possible(don't need an in depth explanation, just what I'll need to learn to do it). If not I suppose I'll have to change all of the "when the system is idle for more than x mins" to Do Nothing in the Powerdevil options in System Settings. But I'd rather just get rid of it. Thanks.
Last edited by HBD on Tue Jan 05, 2010 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
HBD
Baby Hen

Re: KDE 4 - Powerdevil - Don't Want

Postby lxnay » Tue Jan 05, 2010 22:50

kdebase-meta is just a meta package, you can remove it safely.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Re: KDE 4 - Powerdevil - Don't Want

Postby HBD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 23:22

Lol! Okay, thank you lxnay.
HBD
Baby Hen

Re: KDE 4 - Powerdevil - Don't Want [Solved]