Is Sabayon Linux 5.1-r1 a rolling release?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Is Sabayon Linux 5.1-r1 a rolling release?

Postby manilaph » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:18

Hi to all.

I've read some messages in these forums and I got confused as to whether Sabayon Linux is a rolling-release (no need to re-install a new DVD/CD every so often) which you can just keep on your computer forever.

Is Sabayon a rolling-release that we can just keep in our computer and just do updates to get the latest releases and to keep the computer up-to-date all the time?

I think many linux users nowadays are looking for a rolling-release because it is not so practical to re-install from scratch every 6 months or so (like other popular distros).

Even the "upgrading" to a new version of other distros break a lot of things and then you will end-up having to do a fresh install of the new version or fresh install of your old version.

Thank you for the clarifications.
Last edited by manilaph on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
manilaph
Simple Hen

Re: Is Sabayon Linux 10.1-r1 a rolling release?

Postby throdon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:07

Sabayon 5.1-r1, I wish it was 10.1-r1 imagine the hardware we are going to need for that one.
and as far as I know when you are installed and fully updated then it becomes a rolling installed operating system, because you really never need to reinstall again.

I do know with nvidia card and a kernel upgrade sometimes things break but there is a page in the wiki that will help just recognize what upgrades you do and ask before you do them if you have any questions.
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Tips
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Re: Is Sabayon Linux 5.1-r1 a rolling release?

Postby manilaph » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:54

Thank you very much for your reply. If Sabayon is a rolling release,... then based on the Distro Watch rankings, it is the most popular rolling release. That is nice to know.

The latest issue of distrowatch talks about the success of Archlinux because of users wanting a rolling release. This is also one of the reasons as to why I switched to Sabayon Linux.
manilaph
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:13

I still see Ubuntu as #1 on DW rankings, it's rolling too. I've rolled through 2 versions on ubuntu side. Same with the others in top 10. Install once and keep up with updates and you stay current. This is the principal that Sabayon works on.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby cmost » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:07

You're very lucky Wolfden. I never had much luck "rolling" with Ubuntu releases. It always seemed as though something would get borked during the upgrade that could only be fixed by a fresh install. Of course, in my case, I would customize the heck out of my installation using self-compiled packages and third party repositories. When I ran Debian on the other hand, I never had any problems updating (i.e., using the Testing repository) even over the course of several years. I've been distro hopping a bit lately trying out new flavors of linux not based on Debian and I have found Sabayon to be the most powerful alternative to Debian. :D
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby manilaph » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:17

same here... 9.04 > 9.10 did not work for me when I pressed the update notifier telling me that a "new version" is available.

that is the reason as to why I am here right now. so far so good. just getting confused with 2 package managers. i want to stick with portage though since it feels more mature in my opinion.
manilaph
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:42

Yea I read that a lot of people had problems with the update to 9.10. I have a couple of 3rd party repos too, but no problems. We see people that have problems here too so we are not immune to it. If you keep up with the updates it should go well, keyword is should.

Welcome to the darkside, 8)
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area