Cleaning: sys-apps/openrc-0.5.3 <how to Migrate?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Cleaning: sys-apps/openrc-0.5.3 <how to Migrate?

Postby buckskins » Wed Dec 23, 2009 23:06

Hello,
I apologize, but, I am a bit confused on what to do.Just updated , and, it says this in Sulpher after the update:

* Caching service dependencies... [ ok ]
* You should now update all files in /etc, using etc-update
* or equivalent before restarting any services or this host.
* Please read the migration guide available at:
* http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
Cleaning: sys-apps/openrc-0.5.3
After going to the url sugested, this is what it says

Migration to OpenRC is fairly straightforward; it will be pulled in as part of your regular upgrade process by your package manager. The most important step actually comes after you install the new >=sys-apps/baselayout-2 and sys-apps/openrc packages. It is critical that you run dispatch-conf and ensure your /etc is up to date before rebooting. Failure to do so will result in an unbootable system and will require the use of the Gentoo LiveCD to perform the steps below to repair your system.
It is critical that you run dispatch-conf << I tried running that command and I receive this

[email protected] ~ $ dispatch-conf
-bash: dispatch-conf: command not found
[email protected] ~ $
I don't want a broken system just before time/off work. What do I do to make this command work?
:oops: Am sure it is easy, but, Just am not as well versed as I should be with a command line.Maybe I need to log into "root" yet there I can cause Damage.Help would be much appreciated.
Happy Holidays Everyone
Sincerely
Doug W
buckskins
Baby Hen

Re: Cleaning: sys-apps/openrc-0.5.3 <how to Migrate?

Postby Thev00d00 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 23:20

Code: Select all
equo conf update

:)
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 23:36

The message, which is part of a Gentoo ebuild for OpenRC and therefore became part of the pre-canned Entropy package, is misleading in your case: SL has been using Baselayout-2 and OpenRC since SL 3.5. So there is absolutely nothing to "migrate" and you can completely ignore the Gentoo Baselayout and OpenRC Migration Guide. The message is there in case someone really is upgrading ("migrating") from Baselayout-1 to Baselayout-2 plus OpenRC.

Just do what you always should do when you install/update packages.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby buckskins » Thu Dec 24, 2009 0:47

Fitzcarraldo wrote:The message, which is part of a Gentoo ebuild for OpenRC and therefore became part of the pre-canned Entropy package, is misleading in your case: SL has been using Baselayout-2 and OpenRC since SL 3.5. So there is absolutely nothing to "migrate" and you can completely ignore the Gentoo Baselayout and OpenRC Migration Guide. The message is there in case someone really is upgrading ("migrating") from Baselayout-1 to Baselayout-2 plus OpenRC.

Just do what you always should do when you install/update packages.

Thank you
Fitzcarraldo,
Thank you for the quick reply.It sure is misleading when it says your OS wont boot without live c/d, and then have to fix it<<No thank you.I really Like this Distro :P
Would have left my box on all night if I had too.

Doug W
buckskins
Baby Hen

Postby Azerthoth » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:00

p.s. when your doing system level stuff you need to be root. From your paste when you tried to run dispatch-conf you were doing so as normal user. This is also the reason dispatch-conf was not available.
Azerthoth
Simple Hen

Postby buckskins » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:15

Azerthoth wrote:p.s. when your doing system level stuff you need to be root. From your paste when you tried to run dispatch-conf you were doing so as normal user. This is also the reason dispatch-conf was not available.

Thanks
Azerthoth,
as quoted from above "Am sure it is easy, but, Just am not as well versed as I should be with a command line.Maybe I need to log into "root" yet there I can cause Damage.Help would be much appreciated."
Now next time I need to do system maintenance, wont be as concerned about going into ROOT, will try that out right now,
Its fun to play too :twisted:

Happy Holidays everyone

Doug W
buckskins
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:20

buckskins, just to avoid any doubt:

As Thev00doo intimated, dispatch-conf (and etc-update) is the Portage command to update configuration files, so you should perform the Entropy equivalent, which is why he wrote equo conf update. This is why I wrote "Just do what you always should do when you install/update packages.". However, as a general policy you do have to exercise some judgement before issuing these commands to update a specific configuration file or files: Did you perform any manual edits to the configuration file(s) in the past, for example? Because if you did they will be lost if the existing file is overwritten. If you didn't then it is normally safe to just go ahead and update (overwrite) them using the 'equo conf update' command or Sulfur. So, if you haven't already done it, you can still go ahead and do it. For further discussion on updating configuration files, see the thread What to do with System files after updating.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:39

Please see wiki page on package manager
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area