music loading kernel [Solved]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

music loading kernel [Solved]

Postby pedrodh » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:04

Hi people! I remember that the liveDVD of sabayon had a option to load the kernel with/without music. While the system was loading for a live section from the DVD it did play a music. I was wondering how can you make a music load along with the computer boot-up, because that's really cool :) . Does someone have a clue how to do such a thing?

EDIT : Well I tried editing the /etc/init.d/boot.local, and I added "exec /usr/bin/play /home/me/music.mp3", and it does play during boot, but the system halts booting until the music is finished. I don't know much about shell scripting, any help?
pedrodh
Young Hen

Re: music loading kernel

Postby xlnagla » Sat Sep 20, 2008 0:58

add an "&" after the command ;)

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby amoebios » Sat Oct 24, 2009 18:36

i don't have a "boot.local". Is it safe to add it?
amoebios
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 20:02

Stick the exec command in /etc/conf.d/local in Gentoo/Sabayon Linux.

EDIT: And if /usr/bin/play does not exist any more, then use /usr/bin/mplayer instead.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: music loading kernel [Solved]

Postby rj_whitten » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:51

Can the volume be adjusted to make "play" louder? Also can aplay or sox be used instead of play? If so how?
rj_whitten
Young Hen

Postby rj_whitten » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:54

Nevermind found out play is using my Sox. Thanks anyways.
rj_whitten
Young Hen

Postby rj_whitten » Wed Dec 16, 2009 14:09

This is making the sound start at the login screen instead of the load screen. Is there a way to have the music start after grub. The login screen music can be started by going to System > Administration > Login Window.
rj_whitten
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:27

Gentoo/SL uses initscripts: Gentoo Handbook, Part 2, Chapter 4. You'd have to write a short initscript, make it executable, put it in the directory /etc/init.d/ and add it to the boot or default runlevel by using the rc-update command. And mplayer wouldn't start much earlier than putting the command in the file /etc/conf.d/local because music can only be played once the audio drivers have been loaded etc. You can't expect music to play as soon as the PC starts to boot.

In the case of SL 5.0, the same music track as on the LiveDVD can be found at /usr/share/sounds/boot.ogg on your HDD if you want to play that specific music track. You'll also find the initscript from the LiveDVD has been copied to /etc/init.d/music if I recall correctly. That initscript would need to be hacked to create an initscript that would work with the installed SL. But, as I wrote above, you wouldn't be able to hear music much earlier than if you launch mplayer in /etc/conf.d/local.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion