Two Issues: Can't connect to WPA network. Dual boot WinXP.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Two Issues: Can't connect to WPA network. Dual boot WinXP.

Postby 3kadept » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38

Hello Sabayon Forums!

I just installed Sabayon 5.0 AMD64 and I'm having two problems:

1. I have a Intel Wireless Wifi 4965 AGN and I can see wireless networks within range. However I cannot connect to my network. It just fails to connect over and over despite the fact the connection is fine. I entered the correct security type and passphrase. It just says it's activating...bugs me for the passphrase twice and then just gives up. Ethernet works fine. The network I'm trying to connect to is WAP-Personal TKIP encrypted if that means anything.
Oh I also tried Wicd and it does the same thing as knetworkmanager, it can see my wireless network connection and asks me to enter a passphrase, but after that is entered it justs takes forever to connect before quitting and states it cannot find the IP.

2. I wanted to dual boot between this operating system and Windows Xp Professional x64 Edition. After the installation nothing happens when I select Windows Xp in the GRUB bootloader. Windows Xp is on a logical partition (sda5) so I told it to boot to the partition it is extended off of. (sda4)

Thank you for your help.

MODERATOR EDIT (18 Dec., 2009): Changed Suject from "Two Issues" to "Two Issues: Can't connect to WPA network. Dual boot WinXP.".
3kadept
Baby Hen

Re: Two Issues

Postby Marius » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:21

Can you post your /boot/grub/menu.lst ? (In Sabayon 5.o this is a symbolic link to /boot/grub/grub.conf)
Marius
Simple Hen

Postby obnascar » Sat Nov 28, 2009 16:46

Hi 3kadept, welcome to the SL forums !

Just a suggestion but to get better results, you should have created two different threads instead of creating one. The title of "Two Issues" doesn't describe what your problem is. Something to think about in the future.
"I haven't lost my mind, it is backed up on disk somewhere"
obnascar
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 19:22

3kadept wrote:I have a Intel Wireless Wifi 4965 AGN and I can see wireless networks within range. However I cannot connect to my network. It just fails to connect over and over despite the fact the connection is fine. I entered the correct security type and passphrase. It just says it's activating...bugs me for the passphrase twice and then just gives up. Ethernet works fine. The network I'm trying to connect to is WAP-Personal TKIP encrypted if that means anything.
Oh I also tried Wicd and it does the same thing as knetworkmanager, it can see my wireless network connection and asks me to enter a passphrase, but after that is entered it justs takes forever to connect before quitting and states it cannot find the IP.

Are you sure you're using KNetworkManager? It is only in the kde-testing overlay (and masked), not in the main Portage tree nor in the Entropy repository:

Code: Select all
$ eix knetworkmanager
* kde-misc/knetworkmanager [1]
     Available versions:  (4) [M]**9999
        {consolekit debug +networkmanager wicd}
     Homepage:            http://kde.org/
     Description:         KDE frontend for NetworkManager

[1] "kde" /usr/local/portage/layman/kde-testing
$
$ equo search knetworkmanager
>>  @@ Searching...
>>   #1 Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>>  @@ No matches.
$

Perhaps you mean NetworkManager:

Code: Select all
$ eix -I networkmanager
[U] net-misc/networkmanager
     Available versions:  (~)0.6.5-r4[1] (~)0.6.5-r5[1] (~)0.6.5-r6[1] *0.6.5_p20070823 0.6.5_p20070823-r1[1] 0.6.5_p20070823-r2[1] 0.6.6 (~)0.6.6-r1[1] (~)0.7.0-r2[1] (~)0.7.0-r3[1] (~)0.7.1-r3 0.7.1-r6 (~)0.7.1-r11[1] (~)0.7.1-r12[1] (~)0.7.1-r13!m[1] (~)0.7.1_p20090824 (~)0.7.2 [M]**0.8.0_pre20090824 [M]**0.8.0_pre20091105 {applet avahi bluetooth connection-sharing crypt debug dhclient dhcpcd doc gnome gnutls modemmanager nss resolvconf}
     Installed versions:  0.7.1_p20090824(14:55:09 12/10/09)(avahi dhclient gnutls nss -connection-sharing -dhcpcd -doc -resolvconf)
     Homepage:            http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/
     Description:         Network configuration and management in an easy way. Desktop environment independent.

[I] net-misc/networkmanager-vpnc
     Available versions:  (~)0.6.4_p20070621 (~)0.7.0 (~)0.7.1 {crypt debug doc gnome}
     Installed versions:  0.7.1(17:51:20 12/10/09)(-gnome)
     Homepage:            http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/
     Description:         NetworkManager VPNC plugin.

[1] "sabayon" /usr/local/portage/layman/sabayon

Found 2 matches.
$

Also, it's "WPA-Personal TKIP", not "WAP-Personal TKIP".

Anyway, I have not been able to get the latest version of NetworkManager to work with WPA encrypted networks either, although one of the earlier versions did work for me. I think this may be a bug in NetworkManager (or other network-related pacakge such as the KDE 4 Network Management applet) specific to WPA encryption but not specific to your model of network controller.

I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network controller and can connect to unprotected networks and WEP-encrypted networks but not to WPA-encrypted networks. Can you connect to non-encrypted networks, or to WEP-encrypted networks?

Before I world-upgraded a week or so ago NetworkManager and the KDE panel network applet did show WPA networks and did connect to my home WPA network. I have not had the chance to install a previous version or a newer version than the one that comes with SL 5.0, to see if my theory is correct, but I've seen this type of thing happen before. Unfortunately wireless networking under KDE 4 is still rather flaky.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fac3kk » Sat Nov 28, 2009 20:01

Fitzcarraldo wrote:I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network controller and can connect to unprotected networks and WEP-encrypted networks but not to WPA-encrypted networks. Can you connect to non-encrypted networks, or to WEP-encrypted networks?

Same here. I`m forced to use wicd, which is not that bad at all :)
Fac3kk
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:44

^Problem is that Wicd is even worse on my laptop. Never been able to get it to work properly: it sometimes connects, but often not. (And, yes, I'm sure I installed it correctly.). Anyway, I'll have a look to see if there's a newer version of Wicd in Portage than the last time I tried using it. But first, when I get the chance, I want to try the latest version of NetworkManager that is in Portage (there's a newer version than the one in the Entropy repository), but I'm on a Windows machine at the moment and cannot try for a day or two.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:30

OK, I finally got around to installing version 0.7.2 of NetworkManager. It works fine with unencrypted networks but still could not connect to my hidden WPA-PSK encrypted network at home. Then I had a thought: What if I stop the router from hiding itself? I ticked 'Broadcast Network Name' on the relevant configuration page of the router and, bingo, my laptop can connect without problem. OK, I lose a bit of security by broadcasting my network name rather than having it hidden, but it's something I can put up with. I should point out that earlier versions of NetworkManager that I have used in the past (I can't recall version numbers) did work fine when my WPA-PSK network name was not broadcast by the router, so this does still appear to be a bug. But at least I have a solidly-working NetworkManager again now.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:20

Further to my previous post, I've been doing some more research on the behaviour of NetworkManager with hidden WPA networks. Having found that NetworkManager 0.7.2 could not connect to my WPA network until I configured my router to broadcast the network name (SSID), I then configured my router to stop broadcasting the network name, i.e. I made the WPA network a hidden network again. I found that NetworkManager can now connect to the hidden WPA network.

If I understand correctly from the following exchange of posts with a NetworkManager developer, it seems this functionality is not a bug in NetworkManager; it is intentional: Cannot connect to wpa/wpa2 network with hidden SSID.

Dan Williams wrote:The supplicant isn't able to probe-scan to find your AP because it
doesn't have the information yet to be able to do so. Once you've
successfully connected, NM will cache the AP's BSSID and recognize that
AP from the scan list and try to reconnect automatically. But the first
time has to be manual, because otherwise there's no way to find the AP
since it's trying to hide.

Hiding isn't actually a useful method of increasing security, since the
AP's beacon and BSSID are always available in probe responses; so anyone
can actually get the SSID irregardless of whether the AP is broadcasting
that information in its beacon.

See also the following openSUSE thread about the same functionality: Cannot connect to a hidden SSID and the following SLED thread: Hidden Access Point: Cannot connect to wireless.

Finally, it seems that the functionality is the same in Windows Vista -- see the thread: Vista - Can't connect to router with hidden ssid.

So it looks like it is by design. I'm not sure I understand a post in each of the two above-mentioned SUSE threads, but it looks like there may be a parameter that you can set in one of the networking configuration files that lets you override this functionality and allow a PC -- if you know the network name and password -- to connect to a hidden network that has never broadcast its network name. But I'm not sure yet: I need to do some more googling/reading.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area