need help...booting issues

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

need help...booting issues

Postby jnfstnet565 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:11

Hello. I've just joined this forum and am interested in using Sabayon Linux, after using other distributions such as Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva, Red Hat (in the old days), Fedora, and OpenSolaris which I found weren't interesting enough for me. I'm liking all the eye candy and stuff here, + Gentoo usually equals complex, so I'm up for a challenge learning all this stuff.

The problem:
I decided to install Sabayon today. I have a 1TB hard drive which had previously been divided into two 500GB partitions, one of which is currently being used by Windows 7. I shrinked the second partition about 15GB or so to make room for Sabayon.
I decided to start installing from the LiveCD, realizing that there was some SquashFS error (which I looked up here), I cleaned the disk off and it worked perfectly (booting straight into the LiveCD's graphical environment). I chose the install option and went right ahead. Now, I realized I had already installed Windows 7, so I was planning on using Windows 7's bootloader to boot Sabayon (instead of rewriting the MBR to go directly to GRUB and boot). Therefore, it would boot to the Windows 7 loader, then go into GRUB, and from there I would be able to boot to Sabayon 5.0.

So I set up Sabayon to be on the third partition of my hard drive (hd0,2); (at least I'm thinking that's where it is, being on the first hard drive and the third partition of said drive). I also set up GRUB so that it would be on /dev/sda3, being one of the two options for installing either to the MBR or to the partition that Sabayon was directly installed on.
The install process went through and I started up my computer back to Windows and opened up EasyBCD.

I attempted configuring EasyBCD to boot assuming that GRUB was installed on the Sabayon partition, but in error, it gave me a message that suggested that there was no operating system on that drive, or options for one. Slightly puzzled, I went back into EasyBCD a second time to configure Neogrub; then realizing I didn't have the menu.lst file, I went back to the LiveCD so that I could get the menu.lst file from the Sabayon partition, going into the/boot/grub/ folder in Dolphin. I then attempted to view the menu.lst file, but when I opened it up, it was a 0Byte file with nothing in it. I assume this means that there are no boot options for Sabayon...

Overall, I'm confused. I installed Sabayon, and I know it installed GRUB... but why didn't it fill in the boot entries? Why is that file (menu.lst) blank?
Could be some kind of screw up during the installation... but I highly doubt it.

If somebody could please post the boot entries for Sabayon 5.0, I think that would be the quickest fix for my problem.

And BTW: I used the x86 KDE image for Sabayon 5.0 to install...
http://virb.com/psycodeine
making sick beatz...
(haven't updated the site in a while, so be patient, most of what's there is my older work)
jnfstnet565
Baby Hen

Re: need help...booting issues

Postby DHalens » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:08

menu.lst is just a link to grub.conf
I wonder if your issue is that file belongs to root (without reading privileges for others) so you can't edit nor view it as user. If so, the solution is kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/grub.conf (I asume you're using the K edition of sabayon as you named dolphin).

Anyway, the entry should be something like this (mine is for amd64 so you'll have to edit it accordingly):
Code: Select all
title=Sabayon Linux (kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=UUID= 34c3f-...-85e6 dolvm init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 console=tty1 quiet resume=swap:/dev/sdb1 real_resume=swap:/dev/sdb1
        initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon
        savedefault
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:09

we don't use menu.lst, we use grub.conf

You can reinstall grub via the installer if you lost your grub
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby jnfstnet565 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 21:28

thanks, i'll try both options then. the command line approach should work... and thanks for the advice on grub.conf, no wonder I'm not booting...
http://virb.com/psycodeine
making sick beatz...
(haven't updated the site in a while, so be patient, most of what's there is my older work)
jnfstnet565
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area