KDE 3.5.5 released with more than 1,200 changes

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

KDE 3.5.5 released with more than 1,200 changes

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 12, 2006 22:23

KDE 3.5.5, a maintenance and bugfix release of the popular desktop environment, is now available for download and features several enhancements since its last update in August, 2006. The new release includes an update of Kopete 0.12.3, with support for Adium themes, and improved support Yahoo! and Jabber IM protocols.

The KDE project has also included support for sudo in kdesu as well as speed improvements for KHTML, the rendering engine of KDE's Web browser, Konqueror. For a complete list of what's new in version 3.5.5, see the KDE Changelog.

According to Sebastian Kügler, a developer with the KDE Project, "1,222 changes have gone into the release between 3.5.4 and 3.5.5 and 333 bugs have been marked as closed." Kügler says more than 100 people worked on the the code during this release cycle and they are most proud of its improved stability and numerous bugfixes in KHTML. "The KDE browser component is being used by Apple and Nokia as well, and in fact, it shows the significance of KDE technology in the wider software industry."

KDE ships the desktop and 15 packages including games, multimedia, and Web development tools. It is also supports 65 languages, many of which saw tremendous improvement with the 3.5.5 release. "During this release cycle, some teams have done a tremendous job in translating the KDE software," says Kügler.

"The Farsi team, for example, has translated 60% of the User Interfaces during the last months. The Chinese translation has increased by 20% and is now at 93%. That means that most of the user-visible parts of the user interface is localised already. Other highlights in this translation frenzy are the Khmer language, the Slovak one, and the Low Saxon (which is a dialect used in some parts of Germany)."

Although most Linux distributions will not include the new version immediately, the KDE Project has provided a list of distributors that will ship 3.5.5 with their next releases. By that time, however, Kügler says the KDE developer team will be hard at work on KDE 4. "[It] will bring major improvements to the rendering of widgets through the Qt4 library (double-buffering and antialiasing everywhere)."

Kügler also says that KDE 4 will boast improvements in multimedia, hardware integration, and more. "It will make multimedia integration in applications a breeze through the Multimedia API Phonon, likewise hardware integration through Solid. The whole desktop experience will be tackled by Plasma, which replaces the desktop and panel components and will enable new ways of application interaction. The Oxygen icons which will be integral part of the KDE4 user experience have been the major effort of the KDE artists team during the last months."

Source

:shock:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby lxnay » Thu Oct 12, 2006 22:34

Yes, great, and Beryl works with KDE 3.5.5 pager ;)
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby random guy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 22:46

still i have been waiting for like 6 months for vr. 4.0 to come out and i am still going to have to wait longer. it will be like a new generation of kde... thing i am looking forward most to with that is the ability to use widgets on the mac os site, our superkaramba ones are too bulky and over the top. gdesklet ones are better but there are only like a dozen of those...
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby cvill64 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 23:24

distros will be slow to get it? I think its already done in our chroot :D :D :D :D
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby random guy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 0:15

well dont blush too much from this compliment but you guys are very inovative in comparison to other distros. most others wait longer for testing and are generally slowed because they try to reach too many people at the same time. like there are like 10 versions of gentoo for different archectectures whent there are only 2 archs here (i think)...

i think the popular variant versions of the major ones is the way to go, aka instead of base gentoo either sabayon or kororaa, instead of debain ubuntu...
random guy
Advanced Hen

Upgrading to KDE 3.5.5

Postby kmyne » Sun Oct 15, 2006 20:07

Apologies for a probably simple question -

what packages do I have to install to upgrade to KDE 3.5.5. Is there some kind of meta-package available or do I have to select each single package for the upgrade.

One problem - the package kde-env in version 3-r4 blocks the upgrade of kde-base/kdelibs with versions higher than 3.5.4-r2 and no newer version of kde-env is available.

Many thanks
kmyne
kmyne
Baby Hen

Re: Upgrading to KDE 3.5.5

Postby wolfden » Sun Oct 15, 2006 20:54

kmyne wrote:Apologies for a probably simple question -

what packages do I have to install to upgrade to KDE 3.5.5. Is there some kind of meta-package available or do I have to select each single package for the upgrade.

One problem - the package kde-env in version 3-r4 blocks the upgrade of kde-base/kdelibs with versions higher than 3.5.4-r2 and no newer version of kde-env is available.

Many thanks
kmyne

First do:

# emerge -C kde-env
that will remove the env so you can install (it's no longer used)

than:

# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge kde-meta

bewarned it is a lot of packages
wolfden
Sharecropper

kde hosed my system

Postby maprx » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:24

I did an emerge -C kde-env

and I lost my cups and I can't run kuroo since It won't accept my su password, then I get an error that I had a bad kde upgrade and orphaned modules.????

do i have to re-install, I have spent so much time on this distro, mepis and madriva have never put me thru this
maprx
Young Hen

Postby lxnay » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:38

Man, if you remove kde-env, YOU NEED TO UPDATE KDE to 3.5.5 !!!!!! OTHERWISE, WHY YOU SHOULD NEED TO REMOVE THAT?
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby maprx » Sat Oct 21, 2006 14:12

Because I got all kinds of kde blocking errors. And I was told to. My forum members. Well this all hosed. My system so I did a full install and guess what the nvidia beta driver give a large and un usable 800x600. And the edit of xorg is not working. Installing the older nvidia drivers is failing as well. Anyway to do a reverse of the horrible betas? One more day with sab and then I will say goodbye. Fedora 6 is out on tues
maprx
Young Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic