What's the SL 5.1 "Way" of Installing VirtualBox? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

What's the SL 5.1 "Way" of Installing VirtualBox? [Solved]

Postby LaneLester » Tue Dec 15, 2009 15:37

I used Sulfur to add a VirtualBox package to those already installed by the 5.1Gnome install, so that I now have what you see in the attached screenshot.

But when I try to start my Win XP virtual machine that I created in another distro's partition, I get this message:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Re-setup the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. Users of Ubuntu, Fedora or Mandriva should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

There is no /etc/init.d/vboxdrv installed.

I did a forum search which had a thread recommending a wiki page that talks about the Portage Way and the Entropy Way which involve uninstalling and reinstalling.

So what is the Sabayon 5.1Gnome Way of getting VirtualBox going?

Lane
LaneLester
Baby Hen

Re: What's the Sabayon 5.1 "Way" of Installing VirtualBox?

Postby Stupot » Tue Dec 15, 2009 16:38

vboxdrv is a module. This issue comes up time and time again, which makes me wonder if there isn't some way to accomplish this automatically.

Regardless, this thread should tell you how to load vboxdrv immediately and how to make it load at boot: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=14843&p=84858&hilit=vboxdrv+automatic#p84858
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: What's the Sabayon 5.1 "Way" of Installing VirtualBox?

Postby LaneLester » Tue Dec 15, 2009 18:25

Thanks a bunch! This got me going immediately:
PC1 ~ # modprobe vboxdrv
PC1 ~ # update-modules

And to hopefully take care of it in the future, I added this line to /etc/conf.d/modules:
modules="vboxdrv"

Lane
LaneLester
Baby Hen

Re: What's the SL 5.1 "Way" of Installing VirtualBox? [Solved]

Postby wolfden » Tue Dec 15, 2009 23:30

wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area