PulseAudio Server Won't Connect When Logged In as Root

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

PulseAudio Server Won't Connect When Logged In as Root

Postby LaneLester » Mon Dec 14, 2009 23:54

I guess the Subject says it all. Sometimes I like to log in as root in order to carry out various tasks without having to use sudo. Unfortunately, there is something preventing PulseAudio from working right when logged in as root. I just get the message "Connection refused."

I just started using Sabayon, and I'd sure like to to continue. But I'd also like to have control over sound while logged in as root. Is it possible?

Later: I decided to see how well things worked when I was logged in as an ordinary user. Although the various PulseAudio programs run and show sound enabled, I don't get any sound from MP3s, etc. Totem shows the song playing, but there's only silence. How can I troubleshoot this problem?

Lane
LaneLester
Baby Hen

Re: PulseAudio Server Won't Connect When Logged In as Root

Postby wolfden » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:39

try:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=18789

and logging into root desktop isn't advised nor really supported as there is never a need to actually log into it. You should be able to work with su or sudo to accomplish needs, but it's your puter so do what u want.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby LaneLester » Tue Dec 15, 2009 13:45

wolfden wrote:try:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=18789

Thanks, that's very helpful. I see I'm not the only person who has trouble with PulseAudio. Interestingly, I posted a comment about this on the Hardcore Linux forum and was told, "So far as pulseaudio goes, I don't know, most fellow sabayon users that I know use alsa (including myself)."

Lane
LaneLester
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Dec 15, 2009 13:54

yea, unfortunately - sound issues have always been a battle. It doesn't seem to matter, alsa or pulseaudio, people still have issues. It kinda leaves the user up to finding what works best for them. I always stuck with Soundblaster sound cards and never have sound issues. With my onboard sound I suffered the low volume issue and it was easier to buy a $30.00 sound card to be problem free.

So if alsa is working for you, I would stick with it.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby LaneLester » Tue Dec 15, 2009 14:47

wolfden wrote:So if alsa is working for you, I would stick with it.

I think that's what I'll do. The person who made the comment above also said:
You may want to try (as root, in terminal):
Code: Select all
alsaconf

and then as user:
Code: Select all
alsamixer

And that got my onboard nVidia audio back up to full volume.

Lane
LaneLester
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area