Well - I'm a noob again....

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Well - I'm a noob again....

Postby Runaway1956 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 15:23

I've looked at Gentoo, and a couple of derivatives in the past. Never did make the move to them. I stumbled across Sabayon, somehow - and here I am.

My Linux experience is on Suse and Ubuntu, a little bit on Debian. It looks like I'll be learning some new ways to do things here.

One nice thing - I'm waiting on installation now. It got up to 25% or more, when I realized that I actually had a working desktop in front of me, LOL So, I wandered over and registered!! Hmmm. Installing bootloader - guess I'll be on the "real" desktop in a few minutes now. BBL!!
Runaway1956
Baby Hen

Re: Well - I'm a noob again....

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 16:09

Welcome to SL. Do take the time to read the articles in the SL Wiki (see link at top right of this page) on the two package managers: Entropy is SL's home-grown, beginner-friendly binary package manager, and Portage is the Gentoo source package manager (which is 100% usable in SL, as SL is just customised Gentoo, but more complicated than Entropy). It's better not to mix the two package managers as you may break your installation if you don't know what they do in depth (see a couple of articles in the SL Wiki for the reasons). Entropy has two human interfaces: a command line interface called Equo, and a GUI called Sulfur. You'll find out all about them and their commands in the Wiki.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Runaway1956 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 16:11

So far - not bad at all. I have a Gnome desktop - nothing really new here. Sulfur is somewhat like Synaptic - I'm installing a few necessities now. Updates are already done, I'm just adding to my desktop toys.

Wallpaper and windows styles are nice - I really don't like to much color, or white space. It looks good to a color blind old man. I'll be trying to install from a tar.bz in a few minutes. SwiftFox is just Firefox, optimized to whatever CPU you might have. It actually does work a little faster than a vanilla Firefox.

Of course, I'm reading up on Portage and Emerge before I attempt that little task - although that MAY not be necessary. Swiftfox has it's own installer, but I want to be halfways sure before I try running it.

This whole thing looks pretty good, right now. Let's see how long it is before I get into trouble!! :D

Thanks for the welcome, Fitzcarraldo - and I'll be hitting the links you suggest.
Runaway1956
Baby Hen

Postby albfneto » Mon Dec 14, 2009 23:29

Sulfur rasembles synaptic in external form...
remember that Sabayon is not Debian Like...
yes, sulfur, install binaries... as synapytic, but they are architeture optimized gentoo binaries, nor .DEB packages.
using the GUI is similar to synaptic, but the packages and the manner that installer works are very different...
even with the gentoo binaries, entropy uses the installer session of thew portage for install then... Is near the Portage installer, but the packages are portage pre-compiled packages.
for this is interesting to learn how to entropy and portage works
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area