Updates applet disabled itself

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Updates applet disabled itself

Postby ThunderRd » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:02

The applet in the notification area told me to update entropy to the latest version before installing any other updates. There were quite a few updates pending. Rather than updating everything, I emerged entropy and equo from portage successfully.

Everything looked fine for several days.

Now, the updates applet (magneto??) that runs in the notification area has turned red and is disabled. The option to enable it does not work. There is a notice regarding the DBUS service not being available. I have also noticed that Sulphur will not start either, closing immediately after opening.

Equo and Entropy are at v0.99.19.1

I am new to Sabayon, a long-time Debian user looking for something new. I have a disk image made just prior to emerging the package manager so in case I have done something wrong I can re-image and update it another way.

Thanks for any help ;)
ThunderRd
Baby Hen

Re: Updates applet disabled itself

Postby catalyst » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:03

It's not a good idea to mix package managers, read the following.
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... nd_Portage

Sulfur is the GUI front end to entropy, equo is the command-line front end to entropy.
To install entropy do the following, open a terminal & type : su : hit enter, put in your root password & hit enter.
Now type & enter the following in order.
Code: Select all
equo update

Terminal output should tell you to install entropy
equo install entropy sulfur equo

When # (root) prompt returns.
equo upgrade --ask

This will calculate & display world packages to be upgraded & ask you if you wish to continue with the dependency calculation, yes & enter if you wish to, dependencies will be calculated & displayed, you will then be asked if you wish to process the queue, yes & enter if you wish to, your packages will all be downloaded 1st then installed.

I prefer to use the command line for updates & upgrades & only use sulfur to search for packages.

cheers: catalyst64
Desktop HP Pavilion a1040a
Intel P4: 515J processor: 2.93 Ghz: 1.5 Gb ram
2 x sata HDD
ATI Radeon X300 SE PCI-Ex
Sabayon-9 Gnome x86
Laptop HP Pavillion dv6-7031tx Netbook
Intel core i7 3610 2.3 Ghz
Nvidia GeForce GT 630m
Sabayon-9 Kde
catalyst
Simple Hen