CUPS not recognizing username and password

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

CUPS not recognizing username and password

Postby ankitsingh » Tue Nov 24, 2009 18:41

I have just switched from centos to sabayon few days back.The problem i am facing is with printer.i have a hp deskjet f4288 printer and i have also install a driver for it(hplip 3.9.10).but when i am adding printer ,cups asks for username and password.i entered my login name and root password and it again comes with the same window indicating a failed login .i am not able to print anything.please help :cry:
ankitsingh
Baby Hen

Re: CUPS not recognizing username and password

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 20:02

Use the SL (Sabayon Linux) forum Search tool with the keywords "cups hplip" and just "cups" and you'll find several recent threads which should help you.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby nickdanger » Tue Nov 24, 2009 21:33

Please try your administrative (SU) name (and password). You said you used your root password, but did you use the correct administrative user name with it?

Regards,
N.D.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

Postby ankitsingh » Wed Nov 25, 2009 17:52

i used my administrative name and root password but it still did not helped me.
ankitsingh
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 19:46

Let's just be clear about this: you used the following user name and password, is that correct?

Username: root
Password: <root's password>

If you still have trouble after doing the above, try the following commands as root user, and then try again:

Code: Select all
smbpasswd -a root
smbpasswd -a <your user name>

Also, have you checked out the other threads I mentioned by using the SL Search facility? They may help you.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ankitsingh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 19:16

i was using administrative name and root password only.i also checked out the threads but none of them are facing problem like me.cups always comeout with a message "authentication failure".but after doing some googling i found a solution on ubuntu forum.after that cups accepted my admin name and printer was successfully added. :P i got very happy after this but this happiness stayed too short.Though the cup is showing my printer ,it still not printing anything :arrow: another problem.
Though i loved centos(just for its stability however its overall desktop integration is dull),sabayon looks good(i got it in linux for you magazine november09 issue)there are several sectors were sabayon needs improvement.
Overall,(my experience)Sabayan is indeed a lovely distro.it looks great but somehow it looks as if something is missing.there is a song "All you need is love,love,love...Love is all you need."And Sabayon needs a lot of love if it wants to compete with ubuntu,suse,mandriva.

Anyway it was a busy night(googling,command-lining,hacking,compling,........,discovering the essence of sabayon) :wink: .
Speaking of the above new problem,its a joy of using linux to find different ways to take them head on.
ankitsingh
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 23:46

ankitsingh wrote:And Sabayon needs a lot of love if it wants to compete with ubuntu,suse,mandriva.

You say that you found the solution to the CUPS authorization prompt on an Ubuntu forum, ergo the problem is not unique to SL and can occur in other distributions (e.g. Ubuntu). So why single out SL, then?

If you look in the forums of any Linux distribution you'll find many, many technical queries. The similarities between distributions are more than the differences. So you'll find all distros have umpteen posts about problems with e.g. wireless networking, ALSA, PulseAudio, CUPS. video drivers (nVidia amd ATI closed-source and open-source), X.Org, configuring the system clock (your query in another thread in the SL forum is common on other distributions too), etc. etc.

I'm not interested in starting a spitting contest but, just to show that experiences can vary, I ditched Ununtu and moved to SL because my experience with SL is better than with Ubuntu. For example my wireless works out of the box with SL but didn't when I gave Ubuntu and Mandriva another try a few months ago.

No distribution is perfect, and a lot depends on what hardware you have and how much Linux experience and familiarity you have. Three years ago my stock solution to a video problem was to re-install the OS (Ubuntu, SL, PCLinuxOS or whatever), whereas these days I know enough to fix (usually) the problem.

So it depends on many factors. There are people who have a good ride with SL, and there are people who have a bad ride with SL. The same applies for Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora and any other distribution you care to mention. Google "X sucks" (where X = Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora, etc.) and you'll find plenty of sites. Google "X rocks" and you'll find plenty of sites too. No distribution is perfect; they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Of the problems that I have for which I do not know the answer, Google usually finds a solution for me, and the vast majority of those solutions are from Web sites for other distributions, i.e. many of the problems are common across all platforms, sometimes worse and sometimes better on other distros.

Some people make the mistake of labelling the unfamiliar as inferior, or blame the tool when in fact they do not know how to use it properly. The same argument also applies to package managers: see for example the thread No simple package manager [Solved].
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 23:52

Now, coming back to your problem, what version of CUPS and HPLIP do you have installed? Also, post here the result of the command groups for the root user and your usual user name (see example below).

$ groups
disk lp wheel floppy uucp cron audio cdrom dialout video games cdrw usb users haldaemon plugdev scanner entropy pulse-access pulse-rt pulse crontab vboxusers polkituser ntlmaps
$ su
Password:
# groups
root bin daemon sys adm disk lp wheel floppy dialout tape video clamav messagebus haldaemon ntlmaps
# exit
exit
$

By the way, CUPS has had a significant change in functionality when moving from version 1.3.* to 1.4.*, and this is causing problems for users of several Linux distributions, not just SL.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby ankitsingh » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:10

i apologize for any inferior remarks i made nor i said the other distro's are superior all are same with different flavors.I didn't said sabayon gives me problem.I was experiencing it the for 1st time.you said it correct no distro is perfect and i also agree with it. i wrote the word compete following the recent versions of those distro's.I didn't face those problems on other distributions.Infact i liked this distro so much that i made SL as my default booting os.You know how it feels when problem arises in those things which you like.

i got foll

ankit@sabayon ~ $ groups
root bin daemon sys adm tty disk lp mem kmem wheel floppy mail news uucp man cron console audio cdrom dialout ftp sshd at tape video squid gdm xfs games named mysql postgres cdrw apache nut usb vpopmail partimag lpadmin rpc ipw3945d ntp nofiles qmail postfix postdrop smmsp locate portage utmp dhcp clamav messagebus haldaemon ldap scanner plugdev qemu beagleindex avahi asterisk privoxy tor gkrellmd sabayon-admin netdev entropy pulse-access pulse-rt pulse stb-admin bioapi kvm vboxusers crontab tcpdump boinc realtime openvpn wireshark p2p ssmtp rplayd polkituser vmware vboxadd avahi-autoipd nogroup nobody
ankit@sabayon ~ $ su
sabayon ankit # groups
root bin daemon sys adm disk wheel floppy dialout tape video clamav messagebus haldaemon plugdev
sabayon ankit #

My cups version is 1.3.11 and hplip version is 3.9.10
Cups shows error "Filter "foomatic-rip-hplip" for printer "HP_Deskjet_F4200_series_USB_1" not available: No such file or directory"
So after this i uninstalled hplip.
After that i visited http://hplipopensource.com/node/337
I followed all the instructions given there but even then cups shows the same error
ankitsingh
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 15:19

According to the HPLIP Web site your printer is supported by HPLIP version 2.8.5 and above. Therefore you need to re-install HPLIP using the package manager.

As you have installed HPLIP outside the package manager, first uninstall it outside the package manager using the instructions on the HPLIP Web site: How to Uninstall HPLIP.

Then install the latest version of HPLIP using the source package manager (Portage). As root in a Konsole window enter the following commands:

emerge --sync
layman -S
emerge -1v hplip

N.B. You can read all about the Portage source package manager and its commands in the SL Wiki (see link at top right of this page). There are of course also articles on the Entropy binary package manager and its commands. Entropy is the preferred package manager for newcomers to SL or to Linux generally. As with other binary package managers in other so-called 'binary' distributions (Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Mandriva etc.), binary package managers are easier to use. However sometimes the latest version of a package takes a while to make it into the Entropy repository, so that is why I'm referring to Portage here.

Then install the latest version of CUPS using Portage:

emerge -1v cups

I don't have your printer so I don't know if any USE flags need to be specified explicitly, but try first the commands exactly as given above.

If the installations completed successfully then use the CUPS Web interface (http://localhost:631/) to uninstall any printers. Then use the CUPS Web interface to reinstall them. Then try to print a test sheet using the CUPS Web interface.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area