Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby altairz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 14:44

I just installed around 200 packages during an update, and sabayon stopped up, so I just restarted it with the restart button on the laptop.
After that, Sabyon won't boot up again. It's boting to 100 %, butt there it stop. It wont show the desktop.
It just shows that it has booted to 100 %, and then it wont boot futher to the desktop.
How can I make it start up again?

Thanks for answer :)
altairz
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 18:02

Re: Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 18:07

Did it freeze during the update?
Are you able to boot into "safe mode"?
If the answer to those is yes, then try booting into safe mode, login as root and try this:
Code: Select all
equo world --resume
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 21:38
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby altairz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 19:42

dunsurfin wrote:Did it freeze during the update?
Are you able to boot into "safe mode"?
If the answer to those is yes, then try booting into safe mode, login as root and try this:
Code: Select all
equo world --resume


no, it didn't freeze, and yes, I can boot into safe mode.
I tried to resume, but entropy said it was nothing to resume.
I installed all the updates with the instillation dvd, but it still won't boot into the desktop.
altairz
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 18:02

Re: Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 19:53

altairz wrote:I installed all the updates with the instillation dvd, but it still won't boot into the desktop.


What version of Sabayon Linux are you running?
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 21:38
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby altairz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 19:56

dunsurfin wrote:
altairz wrote:I installed all the updates with the instillation dvd, but it still won't boot into the desktop.


What version of Sabayon Linux are you running?


5.0 (Gnome amd64)
altairz
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 18:02

Re: Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 20:06

I'm a bit confused about how you installed the updates "using" the installation DVD.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 21:38
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby altairz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 20:25

dunsurfin wrote:I'm a bit confused about how you installed the updates "using" the installation DVD.


well, I first updated Entropy, using the command "# equo install entropy sulfur equo". Then I had around 200 updates to install. I got the problem after I had installed all of those updates.
Later, I tried to fix the problem with the live dvd, so then I updated the rest of the world updates with the live cd, instead of using entropy.
Can I try to use fsck to fix it?
But the system shouldn't be mounted when I do it, so how should I do a fsck? Or is there another way to svolve this?
altairz
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 18:02

Re: Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 20:38

altairz wrote:Later, I tried to fix the problem with the live dvd, so then I updated the rest of the world updates with the live cd, instead of using entropy.
Can I try to use fsck to fix it?
But the system shouldn't be mounted when I do it, so how should I do a fsck? Or is there another way to svolve this?


It sounds as though trying to fix the problem in a different way to using entropy has caused the problem. I doubt if fsck will do any good as the file system is probably OK but missing something. From safe mode as root try these:

Code: Select all
equo update


Code: Select all
equo world


Code: Select all
equo conf update
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 21:38
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Re: Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby altairz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 22:31

dunsurfin wrote:
altairz wrote:Later, I tried to fix the problem with the live dvd, so then I updated the rest of the world updates with the live cd, instead of using entropy.
Can I try to use fsck to fix it?
But the system shouldn't be mounted when I do it, so how should I do a fsck? Or is there another way to svolve this?


It sounds as though trying to fix the problem in a different way to using entropy has caused the problem. I doubt if fsck will do any good as the file system is probably OK but missing something. From safe mode as root try these:

Code: Select all
equo update


Code: Select all
equo world


Code: Select all
equo conf update


I did it, but nothing changed. Still have the boot problem :/
altairz
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 18:02

Re: Sabayon won't boot to desktop..?

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 22:57

I think it may help to have more details about your system, especially the video card. It may also help to login as user and try
Code: Select all
startx
to see if any error messages come up. (I'm shutting down now but I'm sure others can pick this up)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen
 
Posts: 1333
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 21:38
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne UK

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jacdc and 3 guests