New to Sabayon and need help

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

New to Sabayon and need help

Postby madfrenzy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 19:13

Hi all,
I've been using ubuntu for about 2 years now (luckly I got windows out of my system :) ) and I'm an instructor and I turned all the PC's in the labs to ubuntu, but students keep changing the panels and deleting the notification area and stuff like that, so I thought to turn the PC's into Sabayon but I have two problems that I cant find a solution to :

1- How can I setup .deb file wrapped by a bin file. (or just a .deb file).
2- How to tell the OS to give the user a new home folder after each reboot but at the same time keep the initial shortcuts ( that I put manually after setup ) on the desktop (I dont care about what the students put on the desktop after that).

Hopefully someone would help me.

Thanks in advance
Mina Makary
madfrenzy
Baby Hen

Re: New to Sabayon and need help

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 20:48

If your students know how to break Ubuntu then they'll know how to break SL (Sabayon Linux) too, so I don't understand why you think changing to SL will make any difference.

1. SL does not use .deb packages, and neither does it use .deb packages "wrapped by a bin file". There are two package managers for SL: Portage for source packages, and Entropy for binary packages. Neither is compatible with Debian or Ubuntu packages. You can read all about the two package managers in the SL Wiki (see link at top right of this page). If you want to use .deb packages then I reccomend that you look at Debian or stay with Ubuntu.

2. That's a strange request. Anyway, why don't you make the Desktop Config files ("shortcuts") refer to a symlink? Then in each user's /etc/conf.d/local.start or /etc/conf.d/local -- whichever it is that the distribution you are using has -- you can add Bash commands to recreate the symbolic links, effectively remapping the user to a new directory at each boot after carrying out any housekeeping first.

Why don't you just use UNetbootin to install Ubuntu on pen drives? Then they won't be able to screw up the OS any more.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area